Avenging the cold - Sub zero cycling

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Having had the studded tyres on Luna the Brompton for several weeks, it's fair to say I've been waiting for the cold weather to give things a bit of a shake down.

Todays ride to college was forecast for about 0C with the return journey in 3 hours about -4C. An ideal chance to break out the cold weathe gear. New for this ride is a cold avenger face mask. I bought it as previous experience of cycling in the cold left me feeling sore from gulping down lungfulls of cold air. The theory is this mask warms and moistens your intake air making things more comfortable. The theory seems to hold up and the ride was quite comfortable. You do get moisture build up within the mask, but there are vent holes on the bottom specially designed for it to dribble out down your front... It's a warm mask and if anything the temp was a bit high.

This does mean that I can post the first picture of me on here. I normally shy away from the camera, but in this get up... well...

GXC

Apologies for the background, was the only mirror I could find...

J

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Is that a costume from the new star wars?
:p :)

Never mind Star Wars Julia looks like she's about to storm an.embassy. :D
Looks good though and glad the shakedown went well. Don't know if you have good lights but I used to love off-road night cycling in snow with.my big headlights giving a wonderful erie glow. Pretty magical.
Hope you get some good snow so you can really have some fun. With the bike being low set do you think things like gears, brakes and peddle will fair well in snow? My SDP clips would sometimes freeze up causing my feet to be stuck to the peddle, fine 'till I stopped then it was a quick fall over to one side. :rolleyes:

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE