Autumn Gloves?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Wondering what members are using in terms of:

A warmish walking glove with good dexterity and touch screen compatible.

So don't really want to be too thick, because i'm not after winter Ice cold insulation, its the in between?? just want something to take the chill off.

Water resistant is fine (doesn't need to be goretex or membrane), a full glove is ideal (don't really want finger less if possible),
Leather or synthetic or combination of, Don't need to be fire resistant, not too fussed how long the cuff is and not a "battle with swearing" to get on and off.

I've got some sealskinz but not screen compatible, and my size is 9 Or NATO 9.

What you got?

bearbait

I've used Rab silk gloves for years to take the chill off, and to stop my fingers from splitting due to the wind. Also I can slip my Buffalo mitts on over the silk gloves in cold conditions yet don't expose my hands to the full cold if I slip the mitts off for a task requiring a little dexterity.

The silk gloves aren't tough - I get through one or two pairs a year - but they're really worth it to me.

Don't know if they're touch screen compatible.

Just tried: they're very slightly so.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
The Hestra grey merino liner gloves are good. And there is a version with a fingerprint for your phone. I have a few pairs of the normal grey ones here and there good for walking running in the cold but you’ll want to go up a grade of warmth for standing around duties

Reactions: Winnet

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Touch screen gloves need to fit you to work well I've found. By that I mean not all gloves fit you where the finger tip needs to be for them to work properly IME. I've got perfectly good cycling gloves but the thumb is the only one to work, the index finger didn't. The reason was my index finger is slightly too short or the glove finger too long.

My view is that it's not about the best glove but the best one for you. First is fit then function. Try a few on if you can. Otherwise buy online but be prepared to return it and take a hit on delivery charges.

Reactions: gibson 175

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
My favourite liner gloves were by odlo. Very thin but deceptively warm for their weight. Basically a base layer for hands. I got it 20 years ago but I reckon the newer versions will be touch screen.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I don´t use my phone with gloves on but tried for this, worked on my samsung.

I couldn’t get my iPhone sensing touch at all while wearing my Fast Fit today, though I do have a tempered glass screen protector on the phone. It’s simply that the static electricity cannot transfer to the screen through the glove fingertip. There are ways round this, pads are available that can be fixed to the fingertip, or even better, conductive thread can be sewn in. Only a few stitches are needed and it’ll work with any glove.

Herman30

Native
Aug 30, 2015
Finland
My gloves are quite worn and won´t be long before there is a hole in the finger so that migt explain why it worked.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
I have Sealskin All Weather, they are supposed to be touch screen friendly but seem to be a bit hit and miss.
I bought the liner gloves to make them better for the colder weather.
I also bought some cheap magic gloves for use as liners that have touch screen that do the job.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Urdasein

Nov 26, 2020
France
www.instagram.com
For around 1 to 5° without wind, I'm a huge fan of US Army wool mittens. They are warm and inexpensive.

51N4snpLirL._AC_.jpg

If there is wind, I add a pair of overmittens (that I always keep in my smock). In fact, i use the same overmittens in "mid cold" temperatures and "deep cold". It's only the insulation layer that change.

719wSWhAf5L._AC_SX466_.jpg

Extremities "tuff guide" overmittens. It's just a layer of gore tex with a leather palm. I guess that any overmitten should work. These ones are very light and compressible.

For the record, this is the layer I use when i'ts freezing cold:

ortovox-berchtesgaden-wool-gloves-p20826-27133_image.jpg

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I have a pair of dachstein mitts and wondered about getting the gloves as the mitts keep feeling like they're falling off.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Dachstein mitts and gloves were great up until about five years ago. I discovered this when I went to buy some more and found that hey were nothing like as warm and robust as they had been. Now they are just some wool gloves. Prices leapt too.

That said, I do keep going back to look at the ones with the goat leather palms

Paul_B

Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
I got bought my mitts two years ago and they're a good quality. Certainly the equal of a mate's pair I once tried on 20 years ago. That's just my experience of one so there could still be a quality issue.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
Yes, I should be clearer. They are OK.

I ordered two pairs and then later a further pair a couple of years back. This because my older ones, the gloves and mitts, seemed to be showing signs of wear. Though they are still going strong.

Anyway, the new ones with the rolled cuffs are less densely knitted ... lots of prettier colours now though

However, and this was the purpose of buying the extra pair even though I knew they were thinner. I bought them a size larger than I usually wear and then soaked them in very hot water and lanolin, wearing them and working them about in the water for about half an hour. I did this twice. The effect is to 'felt' them and shrink them, which increases their density. They also then naturally fit the curve of your hands and make your skin so wonderfully soft for doing the dishes.

Reactions: Winnet

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE