Autumn at Fall Creek Falls (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Today I got up at 5:00am and drove out of my county through the next one and into the next going over Walden's Ridge and up onto Cagle Mountain to go hiking at Fall Creek Falls. I hadn't been there in over ten years but it's still just as beautiful as I remembered it. I took a couple of hundred photos but am only posting thirty or forty of them here.

On the way in I saw some deer grazing at the glof course, they may as well be pets as I got within a few yards of them and they never did more than look up at me and then went back to grazing.
Fall&

CopyofPICT0087.jpg

PICT0097.jpg

PICT0096.jpg

Then I stopped by the lake to take a few shots before all the morning mist burned of
PICT0099.jpg

PICT0100.jpg

Then I passed what looked to be about an eight point buck grazing
PICT0114.jpg

Then on to the woods as the sun rises over the gorge
PICT0126.jpg

PICT0139.jpg

I love this little stream, it's a great place to sit and relax early in the morning
PICT0146.jpg

There is iron in the water
PICT0284.jpg

Lots of Holly Trees
PICT0236.jpg

Then on up the trail catching another peek at the gorge
PICT0153.jpg

This is a couple of shots of Rocky Point and from where I took sveral of the photos
PICT0289.jpg

PICT0291.jpg

Rockypointtip-2.jpg

this is a rock formation and the trail out at rocky point
PICT0157.jpg

PICT0203.jpg

Looking back at the fall
PICT0181.jpg

The view from Rocky Point
PICT0184.jpg

PICT0193.jpg

PICT0196.jpg

PICT0198.jpg

Another hiker came out to the point and was kind enough to take this picture for me
PICT0176.jpg

Then back to the trail
PICT0156.jpg

PICT0128.jpg

PICT0205.jpg

PICT0210.jpg

PICT0228.jpg

PICT0237.jpg

over to Cane Creek
PICT0248.jpg

PICT0269.jpg

PICT0266.jpg

PICT0277.jpg

PICT0279.jpg

PICT0272.jpg

One of the things I found at Piney Creek was this hornets nest
CopyofPICT0274.jpg
k

The fall at Cane Creek . Two shots of the same waterfall The fall you are looking down at falls 85 feet
PICT0220-1.jpg

PICT0262.jpg

PICT0260.jpg

More cool rock formations
PICT0165-1.jpg

PICT0199.jpg

then back on the trail again over to the Falls at Fall Creek. This falls here are 256 feet.
PICT0288.jpg

Then over to Piney Gorge to see the view from there
PICT0310.jpg

PICT0298.jpg

I love this view of the valley
PICT0313.jpg

then on the trail again...down some stone stairs
PICT0329.jpg

by a bowl in the stone
PICT0328.jpg

To an overlook where a lot of Yellow Poplars grow
PICT0320.jpg

and here at this overlook is where my hike comes to an end, it's getting near sunset and time for the long drive back home.
PICT0322.jpg

I hope you all enjoy the view as much as I did, it's been years since I enjoyed a hike as much as this one. I covered roughly ten miles over rough terrain in just under eight hours, I am tired and I am going to go rest now...maybe fall asleep with a smile on my face.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
You picked the perfect day for a hike, thanks for sharing your pictures. The colors were at their best, much like it is here today. Soon all the leaves will be on the ground and the trees will be bare. Also a good time to hike and see falls like that.

I guess I'm about 300 miles East by Northeast of you, I will have to make a point of hiking that valley someday.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Thanks indeed for sharing the photos. The hornets nest is interesting, we saw a couple when we were in Colorado in october and wonderd what they were.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
Thanks for posting those photos Mistwalker, very beautiful. Mother Nature putting on her free annual show for us, and all we have to do is as you did, take the time to appreciate it. Wicca.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
WOW , absolutely stunning.looks like the kind of country i dream about,like the backdrop from last of the mohicans.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Superb photos.
I Take it you were in a no hunting area, as you're not wearing any blaze orange.

Nagual

Native
Jun 5, 2007
Argyll
Very lovely pics there, certainly breath taking to look at, I can only imagine what they'd be like to view in person!

Nag.

Thank you all, I am very glad you enjoyed the photos, I sure loved being there to take them. No.., definitely not a hunting area this is protected land only for my favorite kind of stalking, lol, looking for pictures. Hopefuly soon I'll be able to afford a decent camera.

There are a lot of hornets..., very large hornets in this area but that was the only nest I noticed.

I wanted to combine some bushcrafting in with this hike but it had been ten years since I was there and I didn't want to stop moving long enough to make even a temporary camp..., lol, just drank water, ate a candy bar and kept moving. The next pics will be more in the way of bushcraft.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE