Automatic fishing line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Unfortunately they're illegal except for coastal waters and even then you cant leave them unattended.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Lifted from another forum, reply from the Environment Agency regarding yo yo reels

"The quick response is that it would be illegal to use the yo yo reel as marketed as it would be a set line which is not a legal instrument under the salmon and freshwater fisheries act.

The speed hook would also fall foul of the law for similar reasons.

However, if you attached the rig to a rod then it could be a legal instrument that you would need a rod licence to legally use - except in Thames Region where the use of an automatic hooking device within it would contravene regional byelaws.

One other point is that they are designed as survival gear and one of their big selling points is that it can be left whilst you go do something else. This would also be in contravention of our byelaws as no rod is allowed to be left unattended.

I hope this helps. Please give me a call if you want to discuss this further.One other thing. You could legally sell these in this country but as discussed above could not legally use them.

Kind regards

Heidi
Heidi Stone
Fisheries Policy Manager"

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Unfortunately they're illegal except for coastal waters and even then you cant leave them unattended.
I think you will find that they aren't illegal to use in the UK in fresh water so long as you attach to a rod, and have a licence for said rod. There is a post on here I started a while back with the reply I received from the Environment Agencies head of fisheries. I'll have a look for the thread. It looks like rik has found the post I also had on UKPreppers site, from Heidi. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56632&highlight=yo-yo+reels

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I think you will find that they aren't illegal to use in the UK in fresh water so long as you attach to a rod, and have a licence for said rod. There is a post on here I started a while back with the reply I received from the Environment Agencies head of fisheries. I'll have a look for the thread. It looks like rik has found the post I also had on UKPreppers site, from Heidi. http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56632&highlight=yo-yo+reels

See post 4

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull

Fair enough, although if you were going ro attach it to a rod and use it legally, think I'd just use an an actual reel. :)

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I did see it Rik, that's why I added the bit at the end:)... The yo-yo reel is quiet small and lightweight, a "Rod" can be just a stick cut from a hedge when using it "for the intended purpose" i.e. a survival situation, where you might have bought a rod licence but not actually have your regular fishing tackle with you. You can of course buy "automatic" reels that some fly fishermen use, generally those less able to fish normally through some disability.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1970s-Gar...tingGoods_FishingAcces_RL&hash=item2a2be61fdc

Automatic fly reel

Last edited:

bradleybuckman

Forager
Jun 25, 2010
Kentucky, USA
Yes, I've used them and they work fairly well. Great tool that you can use to catch fish while you're doing other things. My experience with them has been around a 50% success rate. We usually set out 10 or so and get 4 or 5 that actually catch something. Of course, I think your laws may be different from mine, so I'm not sure if you'll be able to use them in the same way.

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
So in theory you could set the line and then not have to watch it but just be close to it, could be useful, plus i don't think ive ever seen a marshall or what ever you call them while out fishing, although i do has a licence just in case.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
I have in the dark distant past had my licence checked by a Water Bailiff as they were known back then. The penalties for fishing without one can be quite severe, though rarely are for one off incidents, the more "professional" poachers have had their cars removed from them as well as fines and their fishing tackle removed.

knifefan

Nov 11, 2008
Lincolnshire
The yoyo reel and spring hooks are designed to be fixed and left unattended. Both technically "set" the hook when a fish bites. The automatic fly reels are designed to retrieve surplus line and are nowhere near strong enough to "haul" a fish in, they also only wind in when a button is pressed and not when a fish takes the bait.

To be honest, if you wan't to fish in the UK get yourself a rod and reel and do it properly :) Oh and don't forget your licence :( the average fine around here is between £150 - £600 and contrary to popular belief it does result in a "Criminal Conviction" :)

Bluezephyr

Tenderfoot
Mar 10, 2013
Stratton
I'm going to Thailand soon, I think they're pretty relaxed about fishing over there so might be able to try fishing with my yoyo reel. looking forward to useing it as i cant here. Any tips on the most productive way to use it? Jug fishing or staked by the margins?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE