Autaum walk (picture heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Here's some pictures from today's wet & windy walk. The ground was completely waterlogged. The forecast is for stormy weather this weekend, we'll see.

autumn0007.jpg

The little black and white creature is my dog.

oakleaves0010.jpg

Some wet leaves.

oakleaves0002.jpg

Some oak leaves.

brambles0003.jpg

Bramble leaves.​

Reactions: JonnyP

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
I subscribe to another forum and one of the threads on there is a monthly calendar, comprising a users pic with the months' dates and the forum logo on it, used as a wallpaper for the month, then replaced with a new one posted.

Looking at some of these pics it wouldn't be hard for a photoshopy person to do this, and would be a great idea.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Looks easy enough. Would need Tony's permission to use BCUK logo and some pictures provided with permission to use them.

Probably better to host on here as well. My Photobucket account won't handle the traffic.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Ok so i have asked this before on other threads but haven't recieved an answer :(

How do you post pictures so they appear in the thread?

At the moment i host mine on photobucket and post the links as someone told me to do a while back.
On occasions however it would be nice to opost the piccies directly into the post.

Any help appreciated....what file size is good? my average picture size is 22.5Mb and i think a few peeps would get very upset if i posted them at that size!! :D

Bisamratte

Nomad
Jun 11, 2006
Karben
Ok you have a photobucket account, firstly photobucket will resize the photos for you but they will take a long time to upload so you can resize them with a phot imaging program before you upload them.

When you have your photos in your photobucket gallery you will see three boxes under each photo. If you copy the text in the box labelled Img and paste it directly into your post it should work.

This thread might help with resizing http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=17073&highlight=picture
Hope this helps

Andy

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Ok lets see if this works......
a picture taken a few weeks back on a afternoon bimble
ViaductCropped.jpg

**EDIT** success, thanks for that Andy, i was using the url not the img :D

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
ArkAngel said:
my average picture size is 22.5Mb

22.5MB!! :yikes: What camera are you using? Those are massive files. For Web use 225KB is closer to what you should be aiming for.

I don't think Photobucket allow you to upload an image bigger than 2MB @ 1024x768. That's a bit too big for an image in a forum, generally you don't want to go bigger than about 250KB @ 800x600.

This is an excellent tutorial on how to incorporate your pictures into a thread.
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/community/showthread.php?t=13734

With Photobucket it's simply a matter of pasting in the tag which is the third down from your thumbnail. The one with in it. Click your mouse inside it. It should be highlighted. Press CTRL+C (on the PC) and then paste the code into your thread.

Click "Preview Post" to make sure it worked.

Okay looks like you got it figured out while I was writing this reply.

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Bisamratte said:
Im using a Konica Minolta Dynax 5D, but to be honest Im not too chuffed with it.
It seems to struggle with the auto white balance so half my photos had a really bad blue cast to them. This was easily corrected in Photoshop, but it never used to happen with film :confused: :rolleyes: :cool:

I would shoot everything in raw and make all the colour adjustments on the computer but I need an external monitor for decent colour rendition (Currently using a laptop)
What I can tell from prints is that the colour reproduction is pretty good, but I always feel a bit dodgy messing with colours in photoshop without a calibrated monitor (and then you can always ask calibrated to what? my printer or the one in the shops where I buy my prints from?) Its just not as easy as it sounds this digital malarkey :D

I have a Nikon coolpix 8800 and i bought my wife a Canon G6 ealier on in the year. We have had the same problem on both cameras. My boss has a Canon EOS D30 and he tells me he would never use the "auto" setting for white balance. Since i have taken both our cameras off auto WB the quality of the shots has improved dramatically and have required a lot less photoshop manipulation.
A number of professionals that use our shop say to take it off auto too.

It is fun this digital thing isn't it?! :D I have an HND in photography (15 years ago) and i traded up to digital last year. It's a vertical learning curve! :lmao:

ArkAngel

Native
May 16, 2006
North Yorkshire
Rebel said:
22.5MB!! :yikes: What camera are you using? Those are massive files. For Web use 225KB is closer to what you should be aiming for.

A Nikon as stated below. I always shoot on it's highest setting as i have an A3 printer so the file size helps. I tend to downsize them a lot before uploading them to photobucket anyway, it's just another process now to tune them down a bit more before posting.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Here's a mock up I made of a wallpaper as mentioned by "Quiggers".

It's 1024x768 so it will work well on a screen with a 4:3 ratio.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/Rebel-Yell/autumn_bush_wall1024.jpg

I put a link rather than display it directly because it's rather big at 840KB.

The calender is for December 2007 and the artwork might need a bit of fine-tuning but you get the idea.

Update: I've updated the wallpaper. It now has a 2006 calendar. I moved the logo to the right and it's got a slightly smaller file size.

If you've already opened the linked file before you might have to hit "refresh" on your browser because the browser cache will display the old file. To do that click on the link. When the wallpaper is on your screen go to the toolbar at the top of your browser and click on the "refresh/reload" icon. This purges out the old file from your cache and replaces it with the new one.

quiggers

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2004
East Stratton
Rebel,

that's excellent, exactly the sort of thing I had in mind... :)

Could just have a sticky with Dec calendar at the top of the forum for all to download.

Wonder if any of the mods have seen this yet and agree..

Q.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
I'll work on it a bit more tonight, God willing.

I'll put a 2006 calendar on it and probably move it over to the right hand side, because most people have their icons gravitating to the left of their screen.

I'll keep the link the same and edit my post when it's ready.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE