Austrian army tipi/lavvu.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

EarlyRiser

Tenderfoot
Aug 14, 2009
Perthshire
SOLD SOLD SOLD

This is an old bit of Austrian army kit.

I'm thinning out my tent collection and this one's up for sale for £60 including delivery.

It's cotton canvas and reversible, with a different camo pattern on each side. Vents also have covers on both sides (unlike the Polish lavvu).

Four piece construction with each piece buttoning to the next. Double buttoning at each point (in fact it has more buttons on it than you can shake a stick at). A single, central, four-piece aluminium pole supports with eight pegs, one at each corner for guying out.

It's similar to the Polish lavvu but I've never tried to figure out if it can be worn as a poncho (it doesn't have draw-cords to form the hood but does have vents/armholes). There are multiple additional buttons which are not used when set up as a tent and suggest another use is intended. Two pieces can be buttoned together and allow it to be used as tarp.

The canvas is in good condition overall with no damage from mildew. Reproofing wouldn't be a bad idea and it would benefit from adjustable straps at the pegging points rather than static cord.

There are some signs of wear and a repair has been carried out in one section (see photo). This section also has buttons of a different colour (the picture of the inside shows this). There are three buttons missing which could be replaced by using some of the redundant ones from the bottom edges but, due to the double buttoning, this doesn't appear to affect it so I've not bothered. All the buttons are metal.

The pegs are really super; heavy duty aluminium and especially good in soft ground due to their width.

Also comes with the original guy rope to allow you to pitch only 2 or 3 of the sections, leaving the front open, if you wish.

Total weight is approx 7kg.

Height is 1.48m

It's octagonal in shape with each side approx 1.4m in length (For comparison Polish lavvu has sides approx 0.95m).

I've not measured the diameter but mathematically a side of 1.4m equates to a 3.6m diameter (corner to corner).

I don't remember it being that big (probably more like 2.8-3.0m of usable space) but the slope of the canvas would make it feel smaller; anyway it easily sleeps 2 with kit.

AL1.jpg

AL2.jpg

AL3.jpg

AL4.jpg
AL5.jpg

AL6.jpg
AL7.jpg

AL8.jpg

First to PM secures.

Cheapest post option will be used unless otherwise agreed.

Thanks,

Tom

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE