Au Natural Slingshot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Recently I have found a new niche in making catapult and sling bows. I harvested some nice forks from my permission the other day and recently made one into a simple au natural catapult.

I harvested this fork on Sunday, stripped the bark and rough carved it. It has been drying in my conservatory since. As is typical with tree forks it has split a little as I didn't seal the ends. I have now fitted it with yellow tubes and also fitted a screw in hook that doubles as a site/arrow rest should I choose to fire arrows. I also wrapped the lower handle in some standard silver duct tape to help with the grip.

I shoot this OTT held at a 45 degree angle in the hand. My ammo of choice is 3/8 or M10 hex nuts that hit with a thud.

E1C7A91E-CDA4-4421-9BDD-04C4F541E484-6567-000007AA994D5CF4_zps13bf4a24.j  pg

Shown here on the left and another project on the right.

21C5B361-DBEC-4A91-9B4A-0A29963B5837-6567-000007AAA9E8C3FF_zps20c422c9.j  pg

Shown here fitted with the yellow bands and with duct tape on handle.

Here is a video of it shooting:

[video=youtube_share;nOtHRNcumbk]http://youtu.be/nOtHRNcumbk[/video]

I also decided today to test how fast it was shooting. As I don't have a chronograph machine I found rave reviews about an app that has been designed for smart phones. After seeing a tutorial on the slingshotforum about Chrono Connect I decided to download and use it to test this out.

After setting it up and inputting my data I shot 4 shots over it before my ammo catch box and back plate gave out to the strain.

It was shooting consistently at 290 feet per second with a 10 gram, M10 hex nut. For you air rifle shooters that equates to 28ft/lbs of energy, consistently which is FAC territory for an air rifle! In order to double check the math I reverse engineered it with an online ft/lb calculator and it gave me the same figures so I know it is right. Here is a screen shot from the app showing the string with no deviation.

7AF507F8-724D-4352-96B9-00CE3BAA2AFE-7589-000008FF472B5746_zps259fa97f.j  pg

After shooting this string I decided that some playful target practice should ensue. This was all well and good until I missed my ammo catch box and back plate hitting my shed. The hex nut went straight through the siding and ricocheted off a bike in the shed up towards the roof where it stopped. Suffice to say SWMBO wasn;t very happy and that was the end to tonight's fun. My shed now has a plaster of duct tape over the remaining hole after I tried to piece it back together.

18966366-5061-4E42-8756-0962967054D9-7589-000008FF4E1CCD94_zps29c4b83c.j  pg

A lesson to be learnt that these things are serious tools that are more powerful than standard issue air rifles and are in S1 license territory for comparison!

I will be making another one soon with the other fork and trying to tune that into a faster hunting weapon. I aim to break 300 FPS with the same hex nuts and this will be more than adequate for hunting small game.

Dan

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Nice work there, ill have to try making my own too after seeing this.

How do you feel hex nuts compare to more traditional spherical ammo in terms of accuracy? I presume they're alot cheaper than regular lead or steel shot...

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
I find that they work well. For me they are an ideal practice and hunting ammo and readily available. I do like to shoot lead as well as it hits even harder than the hex nuts due it being heavier in comparison. I'd say give it a go with what you have and find what suits your catapult best.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE