Attracting Beaver.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
:)

( Easy Guys - its a sensible question )

So , I now have a couple of Trail Cams and I'd like to see if I can get some Photos and Videos of the Beaver that are loose on the River Close to me in Devon.

Anyone have any ideas what one can do to entice Beaver to a certain area? I'm planning on setting the Cameras up and also sitting out there myself so I can see them in person.

Any lures? Scents ? Suggestions??

###edit - same question in relationship to Otters please ###

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never trapped either but I would imagine the same techniques trappers use should attract them to cameras. You might google beaver trapping tips?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Beaver here like carrots. If you think you can get away with it, rip a foot-wide hole in the dam, maybe 4-6" deep.
They're very sensitive to the water level in the pond, should be a focal point for your camera.
Stay well away. Typical herbivores, they are unpredictably aggressive and silent besides.

I've seen the aftermath in a vet clinic: Beaver 2 0 Rottweilers.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Why don't you study them and go to where they are, as opposed to getting them to come to you? I always have a sense of unease about this sort of thing, it makes me feel I'm interfering with the animals if I try to lure them. I always learn the habits of whatever I want to observe and then do it on their terms.

I'm not being judgemental here, just expressing a point of view :)

Dec 6, 2013
N.E.Lincs.
White Heather and lots of time coz you'll probably be relying more on good luck than good judgement.....There will almost certainly be a study group working in the area it might pay you to find a bit out about them and ask them for tips and suggestions, once they realise you are genuine they will probably appreciate both your interest and any help you and your cams can provide them with and no toes are unknowingly trodden on.

D.B.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Beaver will not leave the safety of the pond unless they are dropping trees.
You can't lure them any further than the dam that they built themselves.
Put the bait on the dam and wait. They'll find it.
Rip out a little for increased water flow and they will be there in a hurry.

The lodge is effectively impenetrable. Unless caught out in the open on land,
they fear no predators at all. Even then, beaver teeth can drop a 12" cottonwood tree in a single night.
Predators fare no better.

The problem here as they will plug a culvert and use the rest of the logging road as a ready-made damn.
Next, the road bed gets water-saturated, goes fluid and slides off down the mountain side.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
.......Unless caught out in the open on land,
they fear no predators at all. Even then, beaver teeth can drop a 12" cottonwood tree in a single night.
Predators fare no better.......

You don't have gators do you? Of course, even then, relative size is everything. Big gator to smallish beaver = big problem for the beaver. Small gator to a big beaver = no problem. No reports yet of any encounters between beavers and the Burmese Python though.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE