Attaching paracord to tarp eyelet

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Barney

Settler
Aug 15, 2008
Lancashire
I never had much luck with eyelets so moved over to using straps on my current tarp.

What I used to do though in an attempt to stop them pulling out was push a small slipknot loop through the eyelet and then wrap it round a short section of finger thick green branch. It seemed to spread the load more efficiently around the eyelet.

bob_the_bomb

Tenderfoot
Oct 2, 2008
Cambodia
When setting up tarp, what knots do you use to attach the paracord to the tarp eyelets?

I use the slippery knot for attaching to pegs/saplings ala Rays book but was wondering if the same knot can be used to fasten to the tarp eyelet, so both ends can be adjusted??

ta

round turn and two half hitches. Non slip and takes weight. For tidiness I then fix the loose end with a mini cable tie

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
as my tarp has ties not eyelets i'm using bowlines on the tarp and tension guy knots on the line (even tho it came with cleets) with clove hitch for poles.
is bob the chap from BPL? that him in the vid? if so its such an awesome vid, i learned so much from it!

gzornenplat

Forager
Jan 21, 2009
Surrey
I use the knot that follows: I can't find a name for it - in the Ashley Book Of Knots it's just
#1029, but you could call it a tucked honda knot. It doesn't slip, and doesn't seem to lock
up, either. Plus it will hold well without the final step (pic #3) so with that final step, you
can leave a very short, neat end without fear of it coming undone.

The structure forces it into a very round loop (which is why cowboys use the honda knot for
lariats).

It's good for semi-permanent attachments, but it takes too long to tie if you undo it every time.

First, make an overhand knot and pass the end through the tape loop on the tarp.
abok1029s1.jpg

Put the working end through the gap in the 'pretzel' nearest to the tarp. Note that the end
came up when the overhand knot was made and goes under and comes up again this
time.
abok1029s2.jpg

Continue over all the strands, then go back under the knot and come up through the gap in
the 'pretzel' nearest to you.
abok1029s3.jpg

You can't just pull it tight, you have to work it tight (which is why it isn't good if you tie and
untie your guy every time)
abok1029s4.jpg

But it looks quite good and is completely safe and relatively easy to untie when it's done.
And you can use it to peg the tarp directly to the ground if you want.
abok1029s5.jpg

Bimble

Forager
Jul 2, 2008
Stafford, England
I carve a small toggle and tie it to the guy line. Just push it through the loop when you want it on, or off, even with gloved hands or in the dark.

You don’t get any quicker than this when setting up or putting away and it can even be done reaching high above your head on tippy toes.

The toggle also acts as a drip stop, and is particularly useful on prussik loops for the attachment to a taught line .(A prussic loop with a toggle attached is a thing of beauty compared to fiddling with bits of string.)

The toggle also doesn't suffer from tightening or loosening when getting wet or drying out.

Jan 28, 2009
Croydon
This has probably been done to death by now, but I will add my quids worth (inflation huh).

I tend to use clove hitches to secure a tautline to trees. Then tension the tarp hung from it with tautline hitches (what a great and simple knot), so I can get the tarp in the right place.
To peg down the tarp I have 2m guylines attached to the 4 corners (I carry 2 spares for windy weather) which are attached to the loops with bowlines.
Works for me >;o)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE