Atlatl from a board (turtorial)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 5, 2005
Heres a technique I used to make an atlatl, I posted it on paleoplanet a while back.
First the pic.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v231/Sourswithhawk/Atlatlfromaboard.jpg

1st image- Cut desired length of atlatl from the board.

2nd image- Cut out the spur.

3rd image- Spur successfully cut out.

4th image- Birds eye view, Spur needs to be shaped so it will fit the nock of a dart.

5th image- Spur is shaped well, Finish by sanding, adding designs, and adding mineral oil.

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I like the multi wood atlatl in your photo Steve got any pictures showing it all? What about darts how do you make then?

Sep 5, 2005
JD,
thanks,,, That atlatl was made from a broken bow limb that was one of my dad's failed projects. Its hickory/ipe with an ipe spur.

And darts,,, I just use river cane and tie on the feathers, and insert a fore-shaft.

Jul 18, 2005
Montana, U.S.
If you attach a small (1 -2 lbs) weight about 1/2 up on the atlatl, you will be able to throw further and have more control.
Traditionally the weight used is a small river rock.

Useless tidbit: The atlatl is 1st weapon system developed by man and was used longer than any other.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE