atlatl and the making there of

trikegeoff

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 29, 2011
australia
guys
i have been reading alot latly about the atlatl or the spear thrower, and was wondering if anybody has made one.
i am in australia and have been trying to find some information regarding the aboriginal spear and its use. apart from a few articles on the internet, there is not alot of information.
what i was looking for was the general make up of a spear and a woomera (thrower) things like the dimensions of the spear, is the length goverened by the height of the thrower etc etc.
as my brief research into the art of aboriginal spear throwing proved underwelming , i came across the atlatl and dart system and its popular use in america. i am thinking about purchasing a set from the states to see how this system is made and then hopfully sourcing local materials to produce my own.
my question to you guys is:-
has anyone ever made a spear and/or thrower of any discription? what did they use to construct it? and what success did you have with it?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
Google paleoplanet, lots of atlatlists on that site. I've made a few, the atlatl is simple and can be made from just about any wood. For darts I used garden canes. You just have to select canes with enough flex, the length isn't so important. Add a hardwood foreshaft for durability. I wouldn't go to the expense of ordering one from the US.

atlatldart

Aug 11, 2011
New York State, USA
The address for the Paleoplanet site is paleoplanet69529.yuku.com You will find tons of things there. Also if you are on FaceBook, Go to One Foot into the Wild. A friend has just posted clip on making a cheap, fast atlatl for survival techniques. There are a lot of clips out there for making all kinds, plus there is the World Atlatl Association and other organizations that deal with competition.
Enjoy the sport. Yours in atlatlin.
Atlatldart

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE