Ashridge (Herts/Bucks) doubles as boreal forest! (Pic Heavy!)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
A friend and I had arranged, earlier last week, to meet and go for a walk up on the Ashridge Estate this passed Saturday. The weather forcast at the time made it sound like Saturday would be the only good day of the weekend. We had the snow hit us on Friday morning, but the forcast continued to say that Saturday would be fine and by the end of Friday the roads were clear, so we were on for the following morning.

Were we in for a treat! The view in town hadn't prepared us for what the woods would look like! It was an almost monochromatic world...well, until we arrived and spoiled the picture;)
IMG_0577.jpg

We arrived at about 10:30 and there weren't all that many people out and about. A few had turned up in their 4x4s to walk dogs, but they had stuck to the main tracks and and it was easy to imagine that we had stepped out of Hertforshire and straight into Canada (albeit a milder version!)

IMG_0587.jpg

IMG_0596.jpg

We saw many fallow and munjac deer, the place was stiff with their tracks, but this strange bedding sign had us baffled...;)
IMG_0593.jpg

Sorry about this one :rolleyes:, its the unfortunate result of mixing two walking sticks, a Gorrilapod and a pair of bushcraft fashion victims :lmao:
IMG_0581.jpg

While walking along one path, this little fellow came up and started pan-handling us. He followed us to our lunch spot and we felt that it was only fair that we behave like pigs and clear some ground for him. Not only did he come closer than any robin I have encountered before, but he was also the most incredibly fluffed up bird I can remember seeing!
IMG_0601.jpg

Eventually, as we headed home, the weather forcast matched up to the weather. The sun came out and we were briefly treated to the sight of the trees crowned with snow like so much blossom, all against a very blue sky.

IMG_0608.jpg

If this were to happen every year, I think I would enjoy getting used to it!

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
Yup, the estate is nice in the snow. Where'd you go (looks a bit like frithsden)? I like to get up on Steps Hill in weather like that, when that wind blasts in it don't half blow out the cobwebs.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
We were in the block west of the Berkhamstead road and north of the Monument. Pitstone Common, Sallow Copse and Ivinghoe Common.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
Nice pictures. I hope you gave the Robin a few scraps!

I live in Barnet Herts and am hoping we get a big snow fall in the next few days as i'm off work. I'm planning to walk passed the football ground and into the country side beyond, there's a nice natural valley there so I should be able to test my sledge out too. Its gonna be like being a kid all over again. :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE