Ashdown forest fires today

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
To be realistic, it does not matter in which political entity (=country) a tree of this age lives.
What is amazing that the organism has survived for so long. Fires, erosion, hungry large and small animals, cold humans.
Extreme summers, mini ice ages..

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Eurasian forests trees are different from N. American trees.
The latter needs heat for the cones to open, and the bark is heavily heat insulating.

Also I believe large parts of northern N. America does not have any earth worms?

So the forest floor is covered with a thick layer of pines and leaf remnants, which prevent seedlings taking root?

British nature, having been formed by human since thousands of years, has the natural balance disturbed. Clearing overpowering plant dpecies might help to have more plants establish themselves.

I bought a severely destroyed piece of land on the other side Crowborough. It was in a horrendous condition.
I never had the means to burn it, but had to burn large piles of cut brambles, other bushes, cut tussocks of coarse grass and so on.
The plants that grew on these burn places initially were of a larger variety than on the other land, it took me several years to get back all land to a good ( for me) quality wild field.

Reactions: Darryl of Sussex

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE