Ash Burl Tray / Shallow Bowl

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I little while ago i made a post about a big old Ash burl i had been given, well at last ive made a start on working up into a bowl, first job was to cut a slice off of the bottom so it stood square,

DSCN38892.jpg

having done this i was left with a slice of the burl and it seemed a shame to just throw it away,

DSCN38872.jpg

so this afternoon i turned it into a shallow bowl / tray

DSCN3983.jpg

DSCN3985.jpg

it has a tooled interior surface and the rim has been taken down smooth with a cabinet scrapper, i still need to work on the exterior surface of the tray though, pretty pleased with it, especially considering it was just going to get thrown in the burn pile.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a beautiful platter :D
Will you wax it ? I use my wooden plates for everything from bread and scones to fruits and nuts. That one would do very well set out like that; almost leafy shaped :D

Thanks for sharing :)

cheers,
M

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
That's a beautiful platter :D
Will you wax it ? I use my wooden plates for everything from bread and scones to fruits and nuts. That one would do very well set out like that; almost leafy shaped :D

Thanks for sharing :)

cheers,
M

Thanks Mary,

In all honesty it's probably a little small to use as a platter as such, mind you it would make a small serving look bigger, will have to try and find out.

When it's done it will probably get a good coat of wax on it, not sure as yet, im tempted to leave it as is and let time and food acids do their magic on the wood

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine get scrubbed under the tap, dried off and waxed and used and used :D They usually develop their own colour really over time. The Ash one I have is very pale though and it hasn't darkened any, it was made on Arran nearly thirty years ago and it's still a lovely piece. I have a lot of friends among the woodturners, and I end up with some interesting bits and pieces :D

Is the dark patch sound or is it crumbly ? I have some beautiful amber clear solid pine resin that would glow in a space like that. Both Patrick and Russ filled in spaces using the charcoal and resin glue and the results are stable and very attractive features.

cheers,
M

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I have an Ash Kuksa here that i use to drink the odd tipple of Sloe & Backberry gin and that has hardly coloured either, the rings are a bit more defined that they used to be in the bowl of the cup though, but not coloured much at all.

The dark bit is fairly stable, but reading your words on the resin, im tempted to take it out and replace it with somne resin, should be able to collect some this weekend down at the meet.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Ash seems to have been much used for food before and after the Sycamore was brought in....somewhere around the time of the Romans I believe. It always feels 'clean' somehow :D

Be interested to see what you do, if you decide to, with the resin in the dark bit :) I like the contrast tbh.

cheers,
Toddy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Lovely,
How are you going to finish the outer?

I'm thinking that the inner is nice and tooled but a corresponding perfect sort of finish on the outer would be good.
Or of course vice versa.

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
you must be a mind reader, i was thinking about taking of the last pieces of the bark that are there and then just scrapping it smooth

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE