Asbell Wool

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
This is getting my hopes up on ordering one again. Turnstone, did your medium come larger than advertised? Any chance of a measurement across the chest, armpit to armpit, before you shrink it?

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
This is getting my hopes up on ordering one again. Turnstone, did your medium come larger than advertised? Any chance of a measurement across the chest, armpit to armpit, before you shrink it?
No problem! I hope I did it right, but this is what I just measured, with the pullover laid flat:
- armpit to armpit 60cm (not around the chest)
- neck to bottom 74 cm
- sleeve (without shoulders) 66 cm
- sleeves at the hands 15 cm
- shoulders 50 cm

And it smells like wool. I like that. Nothing worse than getting a new shirt or some other clothing and it stinks of chemicals.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Thanks, mate.

I've given it another shot and ordered one. I got a reply from Teresa saying it will be shipped this week. The shipping prices were a bit higher than I expected, but it still represents good value.

I went for a solid grey one so I can get away with wearing it for everyday use and bush crafty hiking stuff :)

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
I would wear it first to see how it feels and performs and if you're not happy then try handwashing it gently - you don't want to ruin an expensive new jacket!
I wore it today on a (very) short walk around the block. And I felt like wearing an old potato sack. Warmth was fine (and it did feel good), but it is too big to feel comfortable. So I decided to put it in the washing mashine. Wool program, without any soap. After half the time I had the feeling that I should get it out, so I did. It's now smaller, but not that much (about 3-4 cm). I have to wait until it is dry to see how it fits now. But even if it is still a little bit on the big side that's better than pulling a baby pullover out of the washing mashine :yikes:

I will wear it the coming weekend no matter how the sizing is now, and if I feel it's still too big I might try another short trip to the washing mashine!

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have a question about the sizing. On their chart, a size Large is 42"-44". Is this the actual size or does it allow for one or two things to be worn underneath? What weight of wool was yours? It seems that the pullover I'm looking at is in 'heavyweight' wool; I'm having difficulty working out whether I going to stew in it or be fine. Any advice or guidance you can give over weight and sizing would be appreciated!

Cromm

Mar 15, 2009
Debenham,Suffolk.
Hi, when I spoke with them last year, I was told that if I wanted a closer fit I should buy the med size top. I normally wear L or XL. The tops are designed to be layered and to break the outline of the human form when hunting........That's what I was told anyway.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
I usually just try to get measurements of a garment and compare it to stuff I already have. The medium has the same measurements as one of my favourite tops, so I went for that. Really hope this actually arrives now.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
After two days of letting it dry the pullover is still damp. But now it fits almost perfect! I am wearing it right now inside to dry it out completely as I want to take it to the forest for the weekend. Lesson learned, wool takes a loooong time to dry.

Another lesson I am learning currently: wet wool doesn't keep you warm. At least not if it was soaking wet. Even with a fleece under it it is chilly.

Turnstone

Nomad
Apr 9, 2013
Germany
Back from the woods! I wore the pullover almost the entire weekend. Only during the early afternoon it was too warm. I wore a fleece pullover below in the morning and evening as it was quite cool (around 5° C). It quickly became my favourite piece of (warm) clothing. Very comfortable, makes no noise, fits good (after the shrinking). On the first evening we made bowls with embers, and quite a lot of ember pieces came in contact with the pullover. If you look closely you can find one spot where the embers left a slight burn, but hardly to notice and not really a damage. The pockets are great, big enough to carry some smaller things inside, with a cut that they don't fall out. And good as handwarmers. On the second night I wore it in my quilt, too, because I couldn't get warm. After putting on the pullover I realized that wool gives a special kind of warmth. Fleece pullovers are great, lightweight, warm, and quick drying, but this felt completely different. Like heating your room with a heater or with a fire. Hard to describe, but I am sure you know what I mean. A more natural warmth that feels much better than just "warm".

The only thing that would make it even better is some way to close the front. It has a slot at the neck to get in and out and this stays open. I might add a button or some string. It was no problem this weekend, but I would prefer to be able to close it when it's colder.

I can't compare it to any other wool pullovers as I never have seen a swanndri or bison or other brands. But I can recommend this one if you are willing to risk the troubles with buying overseas with possible bad communication with the seller. Too bad that shipping costs and import tax double the price, otherwise it would be a bargain.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
My wool pullover just arrived in to the office. I'll post some more details about it later for those who are interested.

Hibrion

Maker
Jan 11, 2012
Ireland
Sorry it's a bit late, but here are some pics of my Asbell wool pullover:

I think the difficulties in actually ordering one of these are apparent now, but my first impressions of the garment are very positive. I ordered my pullover, paid, got an email asking for extra shipping, paid that, then all went quite for a week. Three emails were sent asking for updates but weren't answered, so I got a little worried. Then I got an email saying the item had been dispatched including tracking details. After that I had the pullover within a week. Very good performance by USPS there.

As you can see I ordered a grey one, size medium. I didn't expect, nor was told about, the dark grey stripe, but I like it as it kind of reminds me of a 'mountain man' style wool coat. The darker stripe has been nicely incorporated in the hood too.
The wool is their 'heavy weight' (third heaviest of the weights they offer) and I think it is a little heavier and a little softer than my Bison shirt. I wore it on the walk home from work the other day and it was comfy and warm. I think it is perfect as part of a layering system as a heavy mid layer or an outer layer when it isn't raining.

The pullover is well made, with the ends, hood and sleeves being hemmed. The pockets really are massive! Plenty of room to store bits and bobs in there and still use them as hand warmers.
The cut is exactly the same as my medium Bison shirt. For me, it is a little loose and baggy around the midriff, but I find it hard to get stuff to fit me well as I have long arms, a small waist and broad shoulders and chest. I am thinking of washing it and only re-stretching the sleeves and shoulders in the hope that the waist will shrink a little. I'll have to give it some thought to it though as I don't want to ruin it.

Overall, I'm really impressed. It's a well made wool pullover that will surely last for a long time and the price was excellent, even after the extra shipping charges to get it over here. I couldn't have bought a wool blanket of this quality and had it shipped for this price, so to get a finished pullover is just great.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE