Asat camouflage gillie suit

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
Looks similar to JPs LLCS system. Not one I like, but ASAT is supposedly very good camo so may be worth a shot

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Another possibility is to make your own from what we call a "cut-leaf ground blind" length of material, scissors, hot glue gun and a neutral colored crappy coat or jacket.
I do believe that what ever you choose, it has to have some "fit" in your hunting environment. Most store suits are too dark.

If this link sticks, the turkey hunter on the home page is me. About 7:45AM.

www.kettleriverguides.com

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aaah, Big Highlander - you just stopped me heading for a brew! Cam and concealment - a passion of mine!

There is no doubt that ASAT is an impressively effective camouflage effect throughout the seasons but the 'exclusive' use of what the narrator describes as 'tans' has been well known in the cam and concealment 'world' for years, even decades. (Think WW1 use of hessian - burlap to our US cousins!).

I too have often raised the issue of why there are no green deer, foxes etc and pointed out what I have experienced to be the most effective natural woodland colour combination in wild animals - the taupe and dark brown of fallow deer (taupe - read tan-ish).

The beiges in Brit DPM and now MTP also reflect nearby colours (I've recently done field trials with both) so again that is not a new revelation. Interestingly the colour grey doesn't appear to feature in the vid (did I miss it?:) - another colour the eye appears not to settle on - until it moves - think squirrel!

An issue to be aware of Big Highlander is that often the colour pallate of outdoors US doesn't exactly match that of the UK (again I've experienced this on a practical level) and what looks like it might work here isn't always the case.

Mick 91 raises the issue of JP LLCS - that does match the UK colour pallet (if you select the right one for the season) and you configure it correctly. (There is also a beige element in some of the woodland pattern that has that reflecting effect).

Above all - before a camouflage pattern is even put to use the biggest compromise of it is ............knowledge that it exists and what it looks like i.e. the pattern! This is one of the reasons that self made camouflage garments - ghilly suits, head and shoulders etc (made from hessian, towel-ing scrim etc) are still so effective as they are 'uniquely' configured.
After that -unless you are constantly static it is movement that will destroy any camouflage effect - 'movement is the killer!'

So, if your adversary is wild life, as long as they haven't started watching youtube, with ASAT you might be 'in the pound seats':lmao:
If they are human - .................................:)

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Another possibility is to make your own from what we call a "cut-leaf ground blind" length of material, scissors, hot glue gun and a neutral colored crappy coat or jacket.
I do believe that what ever you choose, it has to have some "fit" in your hunting environment. Most store suits are too dark.

If this link sticks, the turkey hunter on the home page is me. About 7:45AM.
www.kettleriverguides.com

Maybe I'm missing something RV, 7:45AM - not sure what that means, should there be a video?
I went to this link from the home page you posted
http://www.kettleriverguides.com/bc_turkey_hunting/

I do see this pic, is this what you refer to....
turkey_sm.gif

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Rory,

Yes, I think that RV is stating that he used a cut leaf (a la JP LLCS) ground blind (sheet camouflage hide material) to make his own specific-to-area-of-use camouflage garment (an old coat) and those are images of him on the site for that link with it on - if I've read things correctly?

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
PS Rorymax

I think that the 7:45AM refers to the time of day that the image was taken so as to give an idea of the light conditions, another important factor re camouflage used and effectiveness.

PS Big Highlander - just a guess but is the company able to sell the item overseas? A lot of things from the US are on a prohibited list as I am regularly discovering!

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
The only observation that i would have on the suit is that it isn't particularly three dimensional unlike a genuine ghillie suit. These 'leaf cut' suits usually tend to fall into this trap. It only slightly blurs the very recognisable outline of the human body, but the outline is still there.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's me and where and when. I cut the material into 12" wide strips and glued it around and around the jacket. Zipper and pockets all work. I took my mask hat off for the hero pictures. I have snow camo made by NatGear which is far better. Don't flap your arms around. Just don't. Sit there like a lump = NOT a human shape!
All the same: If you can't sit still, moving only your eyes, for 15 minutes by the clock, you fail. Earlier that morning, watching the frost melt, a woodpecker went to work on a dead pine, about 4 feet from my right ear. Dang near made me jump. Two toms and two hens 50yds in front of me and I didn't want to upscrew. Clearly, I didn't.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2015
Dudley
I generally stick to the Browns n tans, they work well for me as a base for adding to, my karrimor preditor 45 + 130 bergins are coyote brown/tan as is most of my clothing, am seriously thinking about the asat, but it's like a leap of faith to buy as it ain't been seen here, but it is on eBay for sale here in the uk.
Ps how do u go about posting a pic on here from your iPhone

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE