Article: Swanndri Mosgiel Bushshirt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
A well written and comprehensive review, enough information there for an informed choice. I'll certainly get one of these on the strength of this (when funds allow!)...............Thanks, and all the best.................mac

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
A decent write up , sadly not telling the full tale....why ? No mention of the gaping hole that your left with when zipped up and hooded up.
It is a major fault imho for those that will find themselves with miles of walking into the wind and drizzle whilst out hunting etc. I find the wool isn't a well woven as the older ones either .
I have an older John Mack ? Swanni bush shirt. It's more like loden how it's weaved. Greater wind and water resistance.
The articles presentation was great though . Cheers

Run Silent-Run Deep now Free

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Chiseller: A point I should have maybe made a bit clearer, like I said in the review the tab piece that is supposed to close at the neck I couldn't even do up as it wasn't long enough, so when I zip mine up and put the hood up it is fully open if you see what I mean. As I can't button up the tab the front it leaves the throat area open.

As for the older ones being better, I cannot comment on that as I haven't seen one to use as a comparison.

All the best

Craig

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Ayup Craig, credit where due, and you are due credit with the overall write up. IMHO, even if it was long enough.....it still leaves a great gap that wind and rain finds its way to like filings to a magnet. I loved mine....just not enough to keep it . Whereas this old one ....alas without a zip.....is a keeper.
Atb

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Chris the Cat

Jan 29, 2008
Exmoor
Nice review mate, great photos and very comprehensive.
I am a big fan of their products and my hooded bushshirt is my go- to 'mother ship' on cold nights around the fire.

Best.

cat.

crucible

Tenderfoot
May 14, 2011
vancouver bc canada
I love my Mosgiel Bush jacket! To me, it's more of a jacket than a shirt, because of the full zip. I have an older NZ made model that is in a olive green/black check pattern, and the weight of the outer wool material is definitely thicker and coarser than the more recent ones.

My only minor criticism is that the size of the buttons on the original jacket were too small and too thin for my liking- I replaced the buttons on the sleeve cuffs and the breast pocket and hood with olive green USGI buttons from an old M54 field jacket, and things hold on much better now.

I can throw a Swazi Tahr goretex anorak over the Mosgiel if I really need to batten down the hatches, but selfdom do, since it then becomes too warm a system to use while hiking. It works really well though when stationary during sleeting rain and snow.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'm with you Chiseller, had one, didn't love it. Not thick enough for a coat, too long for a shirt. That strap at the top was pointless. Well enough made, but just didn't fill a niche for me.

Good write up - but not a garment for everyone

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Cheers chaps, its always good to hear others opinions. So I gather that I wasn't the only one having problems with the strap then.

atb

Craig

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
"...Whereas this old one ....alas without a zip.....is a keeper..."

A good write up, thanks for posting.

Like Chiseller I have had the Mosgiel zipped bushshirt and didn't really get on with it, my unzipped one however is a favourite when out and about in the winter months.

tracking.JPG

Mine is quite old, it would be sad if the current ones are not as good, you still see older ones popping up now and again or alternatively make your own. :)

Last edited:

Tim B

Oct 26, 2013
North Cornwall
Cheers chaps, its always good to hear others opinions. So I gather that I wasn't the only one having problems with the strap then.

atb

Craig
I have both of the bushshirts original and the mosigel (original is over twenty years old and apart from some darning is still going strong) I like both styles but had a problem with the strap on the hood of the mosigel as well so I took it of and attached it to the collar of the shirt so that it just overlapped the top of the zip. it seems to work stopping the draught from getting under your chin. The strap on the original works fine, it just seems to be an inherent design fault with the mosigel. Cheers Tim

Nov 2, 2013
Central Asia
I've had my Swanni for years now and can't fault it, but the whole rugged NZ image is starting to wear a bit thin these days. The best part of £170 for this shirt. I wonder how much of that goes to the Vietnamese factory worker who made it?

Nice review Craig. Well structured and presented. I love my Mosgiel (in fact its British Reds cast off :) ) which I have had for nearly a year now. Jeez time flies. It doesn't do well if its really chucking it down and a constant smir will soak it too. My only dislike is the zipped collar not going all the way to the top and the hopeless butto close for the hood. Apart from that it rawks.

Cheers

Windy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE