Article: Snugpak: Quart System

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
How did you find the breath-ability of the bivvi bag? How does it compare to the Alpkit Hunka?

Alpkits hunka breathability is rated 10,000 grams per m2 per 24 hours.
Snugpaks paratex dry bivy breathablty is rated 7.5 litres per m2 per 24 hours.
I’m useless at maths but I reckon converting litres to grams that means the snugpak is 7,500 grams per m2 per 24 hour.
if my maths is correct, a miracle in itself (anybody like to confirm/correct my maths?) that makes the hunka a quarter more breathable than the snugpak.

Also the hydrostatic head (waterproofness) of the snugpak is rated 5,000 while the hunka is rated double that at 10,000 (though snugpak state 1,500 is considered waterproof)

Anyway that’s the theory now the practical, I have both a hunka and a very old snugpak bivvy, once on an exceptionally humid damp foggy & still night I suffered terrible condensation in the snugpak, and I mean terrible my sleeping bag was completely soaked through by morning, I have not used the hunka on a similarly damp night to form a comparison, the hunka has been used on rainy nights when it has performed okay but not nothing like that damp foggy humid night, therefore I can’t reach a definitive judgement as to which is best. Apart from that one night both bags have performed similarly. The snugpak packs a bit smaller than the hunka and is marginally lighter, the snugpak is slightly longer than the hunka though the hunka is slightly wider than the snugpak at the shoulders. Overall I prefer the hunka. PS - edited just to add, my hunka is the standard one NOT the larger one.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE