Article: Helle Utvaer - bushcraft knife designed by Jesper Voxnaes (aka VOX)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jul 14, 2015
Out in the colonies
"And with two attachment points and a full-tang construction you can easily transform it into a spear if neede"

If you're lashing your knife to a stick to make a spear, you're at risk for losing it when whatever you stick runs away with it.

You'd be much better off sharpening the stick, hardening the tip in a fire, and keeping your knive on your belt. Then all you risk losing is a stick.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Nice looking knife and good to see so many photos showing knife in review.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought one reason for hidden tang construction was to avoid steel in contact with hands in cold weather.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Handsome looking knife that. Blade looks like it would be a bit cumbersome in use though......i'd prefer your old puukko :D

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Nice looking knife but the handle looks a bit too short for me, my hand would be bleeding over both the finger ridges at either end of it

Mountainwalker

Forager
Oct 30, 2008
Sydney
I bought the Utvær partly based on this review and took delivery of it yesterday. I'm a little bit perplexed by the knife to be honest. Certainly a stunning looking knife out of the box. Closer inspection and I was a little surprised to note that the red liners were not flush with the scales at the pommel and the same case up the other end of the scales (only 1mm). The other issue I had is that the opposing bevels from the cutting edge to the flat section of the blade leading up to the point are not symmetrical. It's a steeper grind on one side in the last few cm leading to the point. I guess these knives are hand ground.

Despite the above I do like the knife. Keep in mind I have not used it yet, these are just impressions after removing the knife from the box. I own two other Helle's and they have been very sturdy blades. I'm keen to use it on the weekend to see how it performs.

24/09/2015
Thought it was time for an update, having used the knife for several months I can say I'm really happy with the Utvaer. The ergonomics of the handle on first impression were a little unusual, but I must say it has proven to be very comfortable. The blade also holds a keen edge. So it's a thumbs up from me.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2015
Dudley
I have only two knives that I swear by and that's a KA BAR 1213 and a MORA FROST CLIPPER (carbon steel).
Both have never let me down and still going strong, everything else just doesn't match up

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE