Article: 98.6 Degrees - The Art of Keeping Your bottom Alive!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shelly

Admin
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Deepest Wales
You can view the page at http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/content.php?r=631-98-6-Degrees-The-Art-of-Keeping-Your-bottom-Alive!

I like the book very much as well. It could use a little "freshening", as some of the equipment recommendations have become a little dated. But the principles Mr. Lundin expounds are fundamental and invaluable. It is "information dense" and very easy to read.

I also had some reservations about the cartoons. They do not match my sense of humor. But that is a minor quibble when the information in the book is so helpful.

By the way, Richard, yours is probably the best review of this book I have read!

Thanks!

Corso

Aug 13, 2007
none
I still don't get why he advocated being bare footed and doesn't consider something to boil water in as an essential part of his kit.

Other than that I took plenty away from it.

I still don't get why he advocated being bare footed and doesn't consider something to boil water in as an essential part of his kit.

Other than that I took plenty away from it.

Corso, as I understand it he does not advocate going barefoot. It is his personal "lifestyle choice."

I believe he favors chemical disinfection over boiling and includes chemicals in his recommended kit. Although I carry chemicals for day hikes, for multi-day trips I also carry a container to hold water for boiling.

- Woodsorrel

Last edited:
I am reading this book at the moment and it is a brilliant read. My main job a sailing/canoe and kayak instructor and this book pointed out how much I didnt realise I didn't know about hypothermia. As I said brilliant book and well worth adding to the christmas list.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
You used the 'p' word. Practice. In the house, in the garden, in the pi$$ing rain.
If it doesn't work, go in the house and think why not.
Everything that you ever see him do isn't for the first or fiftieth time.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Corso, as I understand it he does not advocate going barefoot. It is his personal "lifestyle choice."

I believe he favors chemical disinfection over boiling and includes chemicals in his recommended kit. Although I carry chemicals for day hikes, for multi-day trips I also carry a container to hold water for boiling.

- Woodsorrel

IIRC The reason he has stated going barefoot is he is trying to reinvigorate his Mitrochondria for energyproduction , and there seems to be some basic science to support this but mainly from Cold water/environment treatment and fasting.

TinkyPete

Sep 4, 2009
uk mainly in the Midlands though
I have enjoyed reading his books, very interesting reading and puts a different perspective on the subject his cartoons put across messages easily. It is easy to see why they chose him for Dual survivor for a different take. He is a good teacher and has a lot of information on primitive skills. Knowledge is the key.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE