Arrow tent poles.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
:lightbulb at work i have been asking people to keep for me broken alu archery arrows, : -l) i remember in the past hearing that you can make lightweight tent/tarp poles with them.

i have a fair collection now but just need some hints or advice on how to do it! or am i just :dedhorse:

(when i say broken, the tips or ends are bent or snapped beyond repair, but the shaft is fine ;-) )

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I guess you're going to try and compress one end and flare the other of each arrow and stick some elastic between them so they stick together? or are they solid aluminium arrow shafts? (I'm not to up on the archery scene).

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
i dunno! :?:

i heard it somewhere that it's possible!

the poles i have collected are hollow very much like expensive tent poles! i have come across two types an older sort that seems more brittle and a newer sort that is more bendy, both are almost exactly 5mm across

my idea was prehaps to fit some sort of tube inside or outside for each section to sit in, but i have no idea if it'll work!
then as you suggest put elastic down the center.

i can't see how i would be able to form the ends of the shafts in the way you mentioned without a lot of trial and error.

as for use, i am thinking prehaps:
2, 3-4ft poles to lift the side or middle of my basha.

if sucessfull i might consider a more complicated design.

not a hoop design! i don't want to risk it!

leon-1

Rich, it is quite probable that you could do it, as far as I am aware Easton, the people who make tent poles for Terra Nova, used to make aluminium arrows as well. I don't know if they still do, but they did.

You may be able to heat shrink a sleeve of another metal onto the sections of aluminium to get your sections to join (after having drilled one end out so it is slightly wider), just ensure that the sleeve is about 10cm long for support (5cm each way). This would also mean that your internal size doesn't change and you will be able to fit a good grade shockcord inside, hope this is of use :)

RovingArcher

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 27, 2004
Monterey Peninsula, Ca., USA
Easton produces most, if not all aluminum tubing for arrows. Placing some sort of shock-cording is a great idea.

Aluminum arrows come in different diameter and material thickness so that the spine of the arrow can be matched to the poundage of the bow shooting them. Here in the states the size of the shaft is indicated by a number on the side of the shaft. IE: 2016 indicates that the shaft is 20/64ths inch in diameter and the metal is 16/1000s thick. If you were going to match up the tubing so that you can neck one end down and flare the other, these numbers might be important for proper fit.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Ok, just a thought but try and find some tubing with an outer diamiter the same as the internal of the arrow shafts. If it's a tight fit (as you would want) you can apply heat to the shaft and "sweat" the smaller tube in. When the shaft cools you will have a very solid fit. You can then file/sand the smaller internal tube to fit easily into the next shaft and with the elastic/shock cord it will lock in nicely.

The other way would be to simply cut a groove at the end and very slightly tease the end open a little bit and slide another shaft in to it.

Other than that you could try and emulate tent companies or just wing it and try anything that comes to mind... it all depends how many arrows you have to break :wink:

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
chears for all the advice, I'm going to try each idea next time i go to the parents in law, they have all the tools! :naughty:

the heat one sounds like fun! :f:

mal

Forager
Sep 20, 2004
Blackpool
I read some wear you can use mm plastic over flow pipe cut in to lengths so it is easy to Carry and join them with cored through the middle anyone tried this???????

jakunen

Native
Try looking around your local model store. They may have fibreglass tubing used for model aeroplanes that you could bond onto the tubes to make a sleeve that the next section slides into, just like a normal tent pole.

It'd be strong and lightweight too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE