Aron Ralston

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
Has anyone seen the new film advertised called 127 hours? Its a true story about a guy named Aron Ralston who was canyoneering in Utah only to have his arm crushed by a boulder. Ive read the book and seen a few youtube videos, and now I cant wait for this film to come out. Heres a few linkys that you might enjoy and I think the story deserves a discussion here.

Interview explaining the amputation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B2XLoQ1xYB0&feature=related

Full length film trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OlhLOWTnVoQ

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I remember readig about his escapade in the press when it happened, I'll keep my eye out for this.

Thanks for the heads up

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
The book was good, it went into his many adventures before the incident, which gave a good background to the outdoor lifestyle that he led. While the book was very good regarding his entrapment, it remains to be seen how well it translates into film.
One to look out for.

Cheers, Michael.

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
I havent re read the book for a couple of years.

I remember finishing it for the second time and musing on the fact that while the primary story of his entrapment and self amputation was interesting. The back stories had a number of near miss events where he had been pretty lucky. I seem to remember one where they kicked off an avalanche skiing a face and his friends got buried IIRC. He seemed to be a guy who pushed the limits and ultimately ended up getting caught out.

It will be interesting to see how Hollywood have adapted it for the 'big screen'.

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
Has anyone seen the new film advertised called 127 hours? Its a true story about a guy named Aron Ralston who was canyoneering in Utah only to have his arm crushed by a boulder. Ive read the book and seen a few youtube videos, and now I cant wait for this film to come out. Heres a few linkys that you might enjoy and I think the story deserves a discussion here.

You've been watching top gear as well then :)

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The back stories had a number of near miss events where he had been pretty lucky. I seem to remember one where they kicked off an avalanche skiing a face and his friends got buried IIRC. He seemed to be a guy who pushed the limits and ultimately ended up getting caught out.

QUOTE]
The way I would put it is "A danger to himself and others, who ignored basic safety procedures and despite getting away with it for a few years, ultimately got caught by his own foolishness and was lucky to live."
Bit of a prat realy from what I have read....... I think he went alone coz no one would go with him! :D

FerlasDave

Jun 18, 2008
Off the beaten track
The way I would put it is "A danger to himself and others, who ignored basic safety procedures and despite getting away with it for a few years, ultimately got caught by his own foolishness and was lucky to live."
Bit of a prat realy from what I have read....... I think he went alone coz no one would go with him! :D

You couldnt be more wrong John IMO. And who would know this better than a slot canyoneer expert. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xclW0tL8gO4

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
You couldnt be more wrong John IMO. And who would know this better than a slot canyoneer expert. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xclW0tL8gO4

Just going from what I read about and by him and my experience as a Mountain Leader and 30 plus years as an outdoor skills instructor - I have never met the guy.....
I just watched the clip...not changed my mind.....

Last edited:
Oct 6, 2008
Cheshire
Yes he was, by his own admisssion. Heading into a slot canyon alone with noone else knowing where you are going or when to expect you back is, well, foolish.

But MY GOD! what a guy!

I've read the book and he fully accepts the mistakes that got him there, in fact he feels his whole life was aimed at getting himslef into such a scenario, but he lived to tell the , incredible, tale.

I watched the film yesterday with the missus, I absolutely loved it. My missus was in tears at the end . Its a seriously good film and well worth going to see.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
It wasnt meant to change your mind, just to make you realise that he did use basic safety precautions and was in no way 'foolish' about what he did.

The most basic safety precaution you can take is letting people know where you are going.
The fact that he went off on his own, telling no-one where he was going overturns your whole argument.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
This sort of self amputation has happened a few time over here. I remember one particular story a few years ago of a farmer who got his arm mangled in a tractors uncovered power take off shaft, he hacked off the flesh still attaching him to the machine and walked a mile home to summon help. Nails.
Happy trails...torc.

This is the actual knife and torniquet (sp?) that he used to do the amputation.
knives1_1795132b.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE