Army

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
You also need to consider the politics of the present day. Regardless of wether you agree with a situation, you will be required to serve. I'm guessing your political views may change a lot over the next 4 years so I'm in agreement with those that are advocating biding your time. This will also give you the time to prepare mentally and physically.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
Best things to do have already been said. My advice join TA ist get a look at it and visit the Army careers office. Also choose your regiment or career wisely that is think about it and take your time to decide what career you want to do in the Army.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive no idea as to the effectiveness of the course, but its well subscibed and the students seem to be motivated.

I think you should be looking at further education. or join the TA and get a taste.

Or, possibly better still, the Auxillary air Force, which Im told have a better relationship with the full time RAF than the TA do with the Army.

Remember that the MOD can offer lots of educational opportunities, dont be like a guy I knew who was invalided out at 22, and is still saving up for Driving lessons. (Why didnt he learn while in there?)

Dont be led astray by crimminal types, or those who are just in for cheap booze. (But I doubt you will take much notice of them.)

And dont be like my Long serving pals who came out, and found that civvy street was not all they expected.

Remember that some employers are unfortunatley prejudiced against any shade of green.

muchless

Banned
May 14, 2011
s wales
I don't really understand what id be suited to in the army but i think i could find this out in the recruitment center

I don't really understand the career bit as well, sorry if its daft but i thought the army like was a career, i know there are different positions and ranks which require different skills but thats all the knowledge i

I'm stuck between doing my a levels for ICT and math and then joining, finding work until i join or to join straight from school

If someone asked me 'why do you want to join' i would not have a answer, i just honor what the soldiers do for us and how brave they are and i think its a life experience

My friend(15 years old) has just got sent down for 4 months and i do not want to end up like this, i have has minor incidents but i have no criminal record and such

Thanks again :)

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Got to the Careers office matey, they really will be able to help you, they arnt allowed to pressure you, but will be very pro(as they should), sit down and write down the questions you want answering, it makes it easier than trying to remember them after watching vids of tanks and planes. as was said have a look at all three services and there aux counterparts.

Good luck in what ever you choose.

Have fun.

Dave.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
You can join at 15 years 9 months. Join the Junior Leaders. A trade would be best. I joined the Artillery (I got steered that way from the Military Police that I wanted to join) and training on "guns" was a hoot, but gives you no usable skills, then moved on to Air Defence, again no usable skills, so transferred to the Military Police. Had skills, but they aren't recognised by the Home Office police forces. After 8 years all I was qualified for was to kill people. I wish I had never left and after 2 years out was accepted back in but a knee injury before re-entry stopped that permanently. I had some REALLY rubbish times in the Army but more good times. Painting grass with olive drab canvas paint before a Royal visit springs to mind along with painting stones white. I left in the mid 90s so not that long ago!

Bear in mind that whatever Arm you join you WILL have a foreign deployment on Active duty, probably in one of the sandpits.

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
I don't really understand what id be suited to in the army but i think i could find this out in the recruitment center

I don't really understand the career bit as well, sorry if its daft but i thought the army like was a career, i know there are different positions and ranks which require different skills but thats all the knowledge i

I'm stuck between doing my a levels for ICT and math and then joining, finding work until i join or to join straight from school

If someone asked me 'why do you want to join' i would not have a answer, i just honor what the soldiers do for us and how brave they are and i think its a life experience

My friend(15 years old) has just got sent down for 4 months and i do not want to end up like this, i have has minor incidents but i have no criminal record and such

The reason the guys have mentioned getting a trade you can use in civi street (after you leave) is that the forces are no longer a career for life as they were in the past. Despite still offering a long term job, employment until you retire is not definite. Several of my guys are facing redundancy after only serving 9 years despite not wanting to leave and having excellent service records. Don't expect the same loyalty you give to the services back from spineless politicians! This may all seem a bit much when your just thinking of joining but you have to look after your long term future.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire

You don't have to end up like that, as the vast majority of the population don't. That in its self is a "career" choice, be firm, and don't give in to peer pressure, and as Steve27752 says try the cadets. My son did, and loved it, and now at 23 is joining up, having tried other work, college etc, now knows what he wants.

Rob

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
:...get out and join some kind of sport club/ team, they will look for team skills and sporting ability..."

This is really very important, involvement in team sports will be something they want to see, if they think you are a 'Johnny-no-friends' who spends his time playing with his x-box and watching bad movies then that will count against you. If you can get references from someone who runs the team sports you are involved in then do so.

"...I don't really understand the career bit as well, sorry if its daft but i thought the army like was a career, i know there are different positions and ranks which require different skills..."

You need to understand the career bit, you need to understand how the various parts of an a modern army work together, don't wait for the careers people to tell you about these things, don't wait to learn them once you are in, find out about them now.

An army isn't just a bunch of guys running about it wilds somewhere, someone has to decide they should be there, that person makes that decision based on information provided by someone else. someone has to get these guys there, someone has to make sure the car, carrier, helicopter or mule they use to get there works and has to keep it working, someone has to ensure they can get there without falling down deep holes or being washed away in fast rivers, someone has to make sure they have the gear they need and the bits they need to take care of that gear, someone has to make sure they are fed, someone has to keep them healthy both mentally and physically. Etc etc.

Use your local library or at a push Wikipedia, look at the links in my earlier post to start with.

"...You also need to consider the politics of the present day. Regardless of wether you agree with a situation, you will be required to serve. I'm guessing your political views may change a lot over the next 4 years so..."

"...If someone asked me 'why do you want to join' i would not have a answer, i just honor what the soldiers do for us and how brave they are and i think its a life experience..."

You really do need to have an understanding of the background behind the various conflicts present and future you may end up being involved in, not perhaps so much because the recruiters might be interested in your opinions, but because you are a human being and should really try to keep yourself well informed about these things. Read a newspaper (not the Daily Mail), Watch the news (not Sky news), listen to the radio (BBC Radio 4).

"...Painting grass with olive drab canvas paint before a Royal visit springs to mind along with painting stones white..."

Something not covered in the recruitment literature, or movies, or PC games is that being in the military can often be quite tedious, lots of shirts to iron, boots to polish, floors to clean, buttons to shine. :)

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
It's a very honourable and brave thing to join the services. as well as all the great advice already offered i'd say - Just make doubly sure you know what your getting into and who you're going to be working for.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I would wait a few years before taking the plunge, there is lot going on in your head between the ages of fifteen and eighteen, try and experience a bit more of what life has to throw at you first.

If you are dead set on joining up, fight to get into a branch that will teach you a trade, the Engineers, REME or even RAMC. There is a life after the army (for most) and you should take advantage of a free education while you are in there.

Hope this helps.

:)

You won't get any better advice than that.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
It's a very honourable and brave thing to join the services. as well as all the great advice already offered i'd say - Just make doubly sure you know what your getting into and who you're going to be working for.

I'd second that , if your unaware of all the aspects available and present I'd kindly suggest your unprepared and should only commit once your completely sure , and without wishing to sound like a patronizing old fart I think you will need at LEAST a couple of years if not longer just considering all the aspects of yourself and the armed services - plural , Navy , RAF, Army , Royal Marines whatever.

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland
Old Battle Fitness Test was 1 1/2 miles in 11 minutes, I think theres been a lot of changes - but I suggest you run, run, and do some more running. Builds up stamina and will make it easier for you during basic. mentioned earlier but a very good idea is joining the cadets. Good luck, its good that youngsters still want to join up. Can be a bit hairy at times so give it some thought.

Andy W

Forager
Nov 22, 2010
Perthshire Scotland
I should add go to a running shop which sells proper running trainers, (not your local chain store) try and get some good advice on trainers, they dont have to cost a fortune and they dont have to be fashionable, but it will do you then world of good to be running in the correct footware for your feet size/shape etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE