army trangia

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
You can see the difference between the aluminium and stainless steel version by the lines / grooves on the mess tin.
1 line = stainless
2 lines = aluminium

Or vice versa ... :rolleyes:

I know Viking explained a few times how you can see the difference between the two here on BCUK.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
i have both ally and stainless, and to be honest it depends on what you cook and how you cook it, if you are frying anything get the stainless, other wise the only other issue is weight, oh and the stainless one is a tad easier to clean, they are both very well built, and ive had no probs with either, only the stainless one is a bugger to get the lid off, you dont really need the mess set,

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
chrisvreugd said:

Optimus Thor and its cousins or a standard Trangia with KAP Arctic burner or a Gränsfors Bruks axe to build a propper wildfire or ...

On ranger units the governments use the money saved on standard troops :swordfigh

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
big_swede said:
Not sure, But I think that the ally set is smaller than the stainless. Unfortunately maybe.
I have one of each, I will give it a try tomorrow. And my SS one is a bugger to get the lid off too, I assumed it had just been bent.
The other thing I like about the swedish sets is that the kuskas fit in them just right.

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
The composition of the mess kit does not result in the difficulty of removing the lid of the mess kit- being surplus some of them have been a bit abused so the pot may be slightly bent so that it puts more pressure on the lid (or vice versa). I have had one steel model that was very hard to get off but I have a few others that are very easy to remove. I switched the lid with another one which resulted in the one mess kit having a lid that was easily removed and the other one was only slightly hard to remove- mix and match!

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
Price wise, I heard someone say that they bought a cheap "Swedish army" set only to find it was the east german variety which is not so durable.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
They are big, heavy, slow to cook with, awkward to clean, but work well over a fire and are a good cheap starter stove. Insulate the burner from cold ground or it cooks even slower.

A proper Trangia is far superior but a lot more expensive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE