army trangia

leon-b

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 31, 2006
Who knows
i have the swedish army trangia it is very good and built like a tank
leon

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I thought they were two different links!!

Anyway, you can't go wrong with a swedish army trangia, they are robust, easy to clean and work a treat. The burner is huge, much bigger than the civvie equivalent, so you get quite a good output from it. I've heard that meths doesn't perform too well in the cold though, but for most of the year it should be fine, and so long as you aren't in the arctic circle I doubt you will notice much difference.

Top tip for use when frying: Get the oil hot, then turn the wind shield upside down. This gives your pan a larger stand off from the flame and then the oil doesn't get too hot!

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
I have and use the stainless version - heavier but I'm not a fan of aluminium. One sits in my pack the other in the car.

As Leon says, built like a tank. The civilian burner is better than the military one supplied but not by much. I use a Tatonka Stainless burner (though again not much difference from the supplied burner).

Nice thing is that it can be used over a fire without any modification (you'll need a pair a decent gloves though)

Highly recommended. For it price it can not be beaten in my opinion.

There are better stoves that boil faster, though meths is cheap and I've never had soot problems with mine, there are better stoves and pan's that are lighter - some of the new Titanium stuff is great, but they all make a bigger dent in your wallet.

As with anything Chris it's personal preference but if you can pick one up cheap then I doubt you'll be dissapointed.

David

moduser

Life Member
May 9, 2005
Farnborough, Hampshire
The pricing on that site appears to be £4.95 the Trangia on it's own and £12.95 if you have a 3 piece mess kit - though it's confussing.

The Trangia is all that's need though chris as you get two pans, windshield, burner and fuel bottle.

david

Nicklas Odh

Forager
Mar 3, 2006
Ed, Sweden
It feels kind of overdoing to buy both the Army thing and the mess kit.
When issued to soldiers in the Swedish army etc. you get the five part kit (burner, bottle, windscreen, bottom and top), a plastic mug (like a kuksa) and a three piece fork/knife/spoon set that can stop a tank.
When making food in the field you cook and eat from the same thing and carry water, warm lemonade whatever in the top lid. The kuksa mug is mostly for coffe breaks :) You can see on some old pictures of conscripts by a field kitchen getting food they get the food in the lid, coffee in the mug and the big pot hanging in the hook on the belt which the fill with bread, butter and other food things.
If you get a metal cook set, remeber that its mostly older than most of our parents. The metal version was produced during the war for cost reasons. Not the war against Norway in 1718, but close.

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
I bought four of them from sportsmansguide.com here in the states. If I remember correctly they were $12.95 for a set of two. Just got them in recently so I haven't had time to use them. Leon's right, built like a tank.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
Nicklas Odh said:
It feels kind of overdoing to buy both the Army thing and the mess kit.
When issued to soldiers in the Swedish army etc. you get the five part kit (burner, bottle, windscreen, bottom and top), a plastic mug (like a kuksa) and a three piece fork/knife/spoon set that can stop a tank.

Swedish tanks maybe :D

If you get a metal cook set, remeber that its mostly older than most of our parents. The metal version was produced during the war for cost reasons. Not the war against Norway in 1718, but close.

no doubt Swedish stainless steel will last long, for sure very long - I didn´t expect it to last that long.
What about the alu version?
Some of my civi Trangia pots had some really deep micro caves within 2 years so I´d certainly go for the st/st version. The French one probably makes a good storage tin for tools.

I take my Swedish Army kit when I´m camping in the forrest with the kids: no problems over campfires, even over the exhaust port of a Kelly Kettle they work excellent.

Oh, and some are made by Trangia, some are stamped SVEA, some are HP ....

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
Yeh i agree with spamel, the swedish army trangia is a fantastic cooker the cooking pot is a great size holds aprox 1.7 ltrs and the lid doubles up as a eating bowl, the windshield is great too lets the burner operate at a brillant efficiency. Both me and spamel was very surprised when we first used these cookers they cool down very very quickly even the burner, as spamel says a great bargin at € 7.50.

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
i think they are there so you can attach it to a stick if you are using it as a pan over the fire
leon

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
Humpback said:
Out of interest, what are the two D rings on the lid handle supposed to be for or do?

Just checked out the personal kit regulations. You are supposed to put a stick through the d-rings and then use for frying over an open fire.

I didn't have an idea, never used the mess kit, as a ranger we had more modern stuff.

EDIT: LeonB was faster... ;)

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
leon-b said:
i think they are there so you can attach it to a stick if you are using it as a pan over the fire
leon

Yep, that's right...so you can make the handle longer and as wood doesn't conduct heat too well it's cool enough to pick up.

I have the Stainless version which I bought after this years Bearclaw Vildmark course and have been very impressed with it.

The Aluminium one would be lighter but I'm not sure I'd trust it dry over an open fire (should be ok with water etc in it). But be sure to check which type you want and check that's the one they are selling.

It's a good little set up and very cost effective.

Hope that helps,

Bam. :D

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
jw, spamel i think it was you that gave me the trangia, what one is it, stainless or aluminium
leon

Justin Time

Native
Aug 19, 2003
South Wales
chrisvreugd said:
It looks like Bearclaw is selling stainless steel and surplusandoutdoor the aluminium version? is the stainless version much heavier?

I can't see any difference between the bearclaw one and the aluminium one I have since the pots are all painted green. I'd check with bearclaw first before assuming it's stainless steel since they don't mention what it is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE