Army Surplus stink!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
I bought a Danish Civil Defense Jacket from Militarymart - great bit of clothing EXCEPT it really stinks! It has some kind of grid or netting sewn into the top half, sandwiched between the inner and outer layers that, no matter how many times I have washed it (4) with bio liquid at high and low temps, and being left in the sun all day, I cannot get rid of it.

Does anyone have any other tips please?

Could the sewn in grid/net be an asbestos kind of material? I'm sure I've smelt something like it before around insulation or lagging or the like.

Wildgoose

May 15, 2012
Middlesex
Could the smell be mothballs? That smell instantly takes me back to being 13 and my first evening at cadets.

might be worth visiting the dry cleaners for advice

Reactions: Magentus

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If it's one of the things meant to insect proof then only allowing it to sublimate (think outgas) will clear the smell, and only time will take care of that.
If you can, hang it up opened up someplace airy, like a garage and just let the air work at it. Sunshine will help, but only time opened up someplace where the air can get at it will work.

M

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
If it is possibly microbial, like shoe stink or that off an old pan scrubber, boil it. You could put it damp in the microwave, but I guess there will be metal bits on it. Works well for shoes that technique does, but can melt the glue too much if you overdo it.

Magentus

Settler
Oct 1, 2008
West Midlands
Thanks for all the advice folks - I kept it outside for three days and nights, and the smell returned a couple of hours after bringing it in after that, and then it went in the freezer for a couple of days all to no avail. Sadly I decided to bin it as I didn't want to pass it on smelling as bad as it did.

Silverclaws2

Nomad
Dec 30, 2019
Devon
The army surplus smell I recall has a distinct similarity to the supply squadron warehouse smell, to perhaps be the cleaning or finishing product that is used.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
What I can't boil I freeze for three weeks and wash and rinse it excessively.

But yes, rubberised German Army stuff like the poncho keeps a special smell for very long time. Only airing it very long helps and my impression is that relatively unused stuff smells more than very used stuff.

Reactions: Silverclaws2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE