Vango Supernova 3000 (L) sleeping bag:

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Vango Supernova 3000 (L) sleeping bag:

Finding the right sleeping bag to suit your needs can be a hard task. There are so many factors to consider and then they come in a whole array of Styles ,ranges and sizes. Until you know what makes a good bag you can definitely get lost for hours searching through them all.
For me this sleeping bag looked like a great option, it had the factors I was looking for.

mbs4jp.jpg

The Specifications are:

2yxfy2r.jpg

Suggested Usage -7 to 18°C
Comfort / Limit / Extreme 0 / -5 / -23°C
Overall Length 210
Total Weight 1750g (1900g with stuffsac)
Chest width 85
Foot width 50
Fill weight 2 x 125 top / 2 x 125 base / 3 x 125 hood g/m2
Zip Left-hand
Pack Size (Uncompressed) 28 x ø21cm / 9.7 litres
Shape Mummy
Insulation Type Synthetic

Construction

Outer shell:

1z4ztwx.jpg

The outer shell of the bag is made from Polair@ RSN. This is breathable 40-denier ripstop nylon and has a water proof finish. Its construction means that it keeps any moisture on the outside of the bag. This in turn stops the insulation from getting wet and losing some of its insulating properties.

On one of the nights I was out, I had set the hammock up but unfortunately the wind blew the rain under the small tarp. In the morning there was a wet patch where my shoulders were on the hammock but the sleeping bag was perfectly dry on the inside. Another night I had the bag on its own on top of a mat with a tarp over the top, at one point in the night it got a bit misty but the bag repelled the water fine and was again dry on the inside. The outside was damp but took hardly any time at all to dry.

As the shell is made from a durable abrasion resistant Nylon, I expect it to last a long time and so far, there is no sign of ware.

Inner lining

4sz6nq.jpg

The lining is made from Polair mini-RSN and as with the outer shell its properties make it breathable and resistant to rubbing, scuffing etc. It is soft and comfortable to lie on.

Thermal Embrace System ( TES):

This sleeping bag has the Vango TES incorporated into it. This works by allowing the lining to hug your form via the elasticated thread that runs through it. As the lining is pulled towards you the insulation between the inner and outer layers is able to expand more allowing more warm air to be trapped.

Insulation:

The insulation is Insulite Aero which is a spiralled siliconised hollow Polyester fibre. The hollows in these fibres are larger than normal making it able to trap more air. As the fibres are spiralled and coated in the silicon, the bag is able to expand and compact better.

Reflective Lining:

To further add to the heat retaining properties there is an aluminised reflective inter lining. It works like a space blanket by reflecting back the heat your body produces. The inter lining also helps to stop the insulation layers rubbing together. Although the inter lining is breathable I was at first concerned that I might end up getting damp spots but after using it for a couple of weeks I haven’t had any problems at all with it trapping moisture on the inside.

Offset Layers:

Another feature that helps is the offset double layer construction. This helps to prevent any cold getting caught in the stitch lines.

Zip:

20rr69e.jpg

This bag has a 2 way locking zip that can be opened from the inside and outside and it extends all the way down into the foot area. Having this allows you to open the bag up entirely to use as a blanket or as much as you need to get good ventilation going. When using in warmer temperatures this for me makes a big difference as I like to stick my feet out if I need to cool down. The zip has been stitched to the inner layer, which I prefer over one that is sewn all the way through the bag.

The zip is auto locking which means any movement won’t force the bag open. I move around a lot in my sleep and have not yet had a problem with it. There is also a Velcro zip flap at the top end that prevents the zip catching on anything and being pulled open.

35ldbmt.jpg

10zwy95.jpg

One thing that really riles me is a bag that you spend ages wrestling with just because the zip is always getting caught on the fabric. The construction of this bag however has had some thought put into it. To stop the zip snagging on the lining there is a zip guard. This is a piece of material that has had some piping sewn into it and is situated right behind the zip. This stops the lining being caught in the track of the zip. In addition, the zips low profile also helps, as it does not come pass the zip guard.

29zu448.jpg

To stop any heat escaping through there is a baffle that runs the entire length of the zip and then continues into the bag. As it is filled with insulation and not just a piece of fabric you get extra heat retention due to the air getting trapped in the loft . The shape and position of the baffle allows it to sit against the zip when he bag is closed

23sdh86.jpg

Hood:

16if5et.jpg

The bag has a multi sectioned hood that is shaped so that it will give a good fit especially around the face. It has 2 different sized/shaped cords so you can identify which is which even in the dark. Both are sewn into tubes of material along the edge. The thinner black cord is used to draw in and release the top part of the hood which covers the head area and the thicker orange cord tightens and releases the top of the bag allowing a snug fit to the face. Both cords run through a barrel toggle keeping them in place. You do have to be careful not to release one while you are tightening the other.

264gnih.jpg

There is a lot more insulation in the hood and you can really feel the difference. Having that extra bit makes it warmer and softer on the head and face. It did not feel like it constricted my face and there was enough room without it being excessive.

Draft Collar:

14o1du.jpg

The draft collar again is a tube of material 5” wide that is filled with insulation. You can close it tight with the draw cord and barrel toggle to prevent any warm air escaping up past the neck when you move around. So far I haven’t felt the need to sleep with it tightened up but when I did close it for a couple of hours to try it out there was a big difference and I can certainly see the benefits of this in colder temperatures. It felt soft, comfortable even when fully closed, and the only thing I could fault with the draft collar was the fact that the insulation was a bit uneven in the sections of the tube.

Foot box:

24decl3.jpg

The foot box on this bag has been designed so your feet can lie in a relaxed position but without any excess space to heat up. There is a lot of insulation which makes a difference and it certainly feels soft. When I slept in the hammock without an under pad I had no cold spots around the feet at all.

Internal Pocket:

2nby1at.jpg

Inside the sleeping bag approximately chest height there is a side facing internal pocket. It measures approx 7" x 10 1/2" “ so you have a decent amount of room to store light things in phones, wallet, torch etc. It is easy to access through the Velcro tab when you are in the bag and zipped up.

2 part compression sac:

etbrt4.jpg

The bag comes with a 2 part sack to store it in. The first part is your normal stuff sack. Made from a thick water resistant material that feels very strong and is closed using a cord and a barrel toggle. The size is good as it is not so tight that you have to spend ages wrestling the sleeping bag to get it in but neither is it too baggy .

2qcm7g0.jpg

The second part is the compression part. This isn’t a full sack but 2 pieces of material that fit over either end of the stuff sack. They are connected by 4 webbing straps 3 of which run through ladder locks and the last one through your quick release clip. You just pull on these to compress the bag. Very simple to use and reduces the pack size well.

Stitching:

w7ezch.jpg

I had been out for the weekend and when I came back I found on one of the sections the stitching had come undone for a length of 1 ½” and you were able to see the insulation on the inside. This issue was promptly dealt with and was told that they do not normally have an issue with the stitching. I was able to return the bag to the Vango aftersales department and get it back with an un noticeable repair. The people were very helpful and made sure everything was done as quickly as possible.

2u4j2mh.jpg

Apart from this 1 small area the rest of the stitching on the bag was tight, secure and neatly finished.

Service:
The standard of the service was excellent. I had good communications with Vango’s team and they were friendly and willing to answer questions and to help with getting the repair sorted. Approximately

Conclusion:

I am really happy with how this sleeping bag had turned out. The details that have gone into the Supernova 3000 bag make it warm, comfortable, and easy to use.
For me living and camping in in wetter areas I find the synthetics are more suitable to my needs and the bag has proven it can keep out the wet as well as the cold.
The temperature range in my opinion is accurate and with the right layer of clothing and an under blanket I would certainly be using it when the autumn and winter comes back around.

Atb

Craig

Last edited:

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
Thanks roba,

yep I would be confident in the conditions I was in but when under the tarp alone I would use a Bivvi if it was heavier weather no matter what bag it was.

Atb

Craig

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE