Army surplus shops

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Running the risk of being accused of cleaning out all your treasure troves could the Scottish contingent pass on details of surplus shops in Scotland. I cover all the Scottish coastline but rarely get the chance to explore the towns and sidestreets. I know all could be got online but you can't beat a good hoke. I don't miss a lot about Plymouth but I miss Bogey Knights. Thanks for your help.

Everything Mac

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Clearwater in Glasgow
Adventure 1 also in Glasgow

both are quite expensive - overpriced in my eyes. they are the only two I know of in Glasgow but I'm sure there are a few more.

they both have websites - so you can get their addresses.

Andy

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
There's a place in Perth down near the library, sorry I can't recall the name but it looks like a old hardwear store.
The old boy that owns it has pretty mainstream stuff though, don't expect an Endicotts!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Christ didn't think that place on Leith walk was still going went there about 18yrs ago was pretty good then. Thanks for the Glasgow addresses. Found that place in Perth, can't really hunt around in it though. Cheers guys

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
hope you got the stuff you were after in the end mate?

I was after a few bits yesterday and checked both shops - and I have come to the conclusion that they are both pretty cr*p.

they both charge a fortune and their product knowledge was not very good.

an employee in Adventure1 was telling a young lad that a certain hexy stove was the one used by British forces - he was totally wrong.

I also asked the guy in Clearwater for a crusader cup - he told me he only he only had plastic cups but as I left I spotted what is apparently the American version which is a bit smaller. it was perfectly good for what I wanted and I don't know why he didn't suggest it as an alternative.

- Clearwater is outrageously overpriced - I can get a set of combats from surplus shops back in Dorset for less than a tenner - up here I would be lucky to get a half decent pair of trousers for that.

Andy

ross16689

Dec 27, 2009
Perth
That would be fergusons in perth! They have a sister shop across the street. I've been going to the place since I was a kid and it hasn't changed one bit since- they were forced to repaint the front of the store by the council after it became to decrepit! Its a pretty terrible place really but has been a Perth institution for quite a few generations!

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Cheers E'Mac appreciate the review. You may be able to help with a second question actually, I'm occasionally in Poole, aside from the surplus shop on the High street what other shops are there around and about.

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Cheers E'Mac appreciate the review. You may be able to help with a second question actually, I'm occasionally in Poole, aside from the surplus shop on the High street what other shops are there around and about.

There is a place in Bournemouth which is the sister shop to the one in Poole - it is a bit larger. Not too far from the train station

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?um=1&...roup&ct=more-results&resnum=1&ved=0CA8QtQMwAA

- barring a surplus shop just outside the barracks in Catterick they are the best surplus shops I have come across.

The one in Poole is closer to me so I usually go in there - dirt cheap - I picked up a smock for £2 a few years back - it just needed a couple of patches - it now forms the base of my ghillie suit.

depends what you are after really mate - if you just want a good rummage about then the larger store in Bournemouth is your best bet.

atb
Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE