Army Surplus gear any good

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Morning all.
I need a new sleeping bag, for the colder end of the year, but have next to no money, What are pepoles views on the army surplus sleeping bags that you can get in any surplus store and ebay. I know that they will be big and heavy but as a bag how good are they. Another thing the army surplus gortex bivi bags, are they any good, would one do untill I can afford a hammok.
Any comments welcom

Cheers

Chris

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I have both an army arctic bag and a goretex bivvy bag. I think they're both excellent. The sleeping bag is a bit bulky and heavy, but you're not cold in it!

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Another vote in favour of Ex military gear,
Certainly stuff that was available pre '95 issue - most was very rugged and will perform even though it is likely to be bulky. In more recent times however the ideal has been similar to our American cousins - use it for a few days, then throw it away and get a new set - this seems to be the case where clothing is concerned, as I have found to my detriment, modern camo gear just doesn't cut the mustard.

I think the sleeping bags were a '58 pattern, rolled up into its own hood/carry bag and had toggles as well as a zip. They have a waterproof bottom so you can sleep on a damp floor without getting too wet yourself.

Ogri the trog

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
You'll find lots of info (much of it conflicting!) if you do a search on army sleeping bag on the search function.

There are at least 3 different British army bags on the surplus market: the 58 pattern (feather and down with waterproof base), the arctic (feather and down but more of it, no waterproof base) and the current issue synthetic 'bouncing bomb' type.

If you are over 5'8" or so, the standard length '58 pattern will be a bit short, and a long is preferable.

If possible try before you buy as some lose their filling and others smell of ripe squaddie.

I like the 58 pattern as it is 2.5kg so not too bad a weight for the warmth it provides, and the waterproof base means you can sleep out well with just a bag and a basha (we never used sleeping mats when I was in the OTC.) I was out in my 58 pattern bag at the recent Scottish meet and it was quite adequate at a measured minus five. And yet you can buy a brand new unissued long one for £45 or a used one for as little as a tenner.

T

TimB

You get my vote for surplus sleeping bags.

We were out the weekend before christmas with th cadets, they were using the 58 bag in -5°C temps.
No complaints from them in the morning!

Just make sure you turn the bag inside out and check that there are no tears! Waking up with a mouth, nose and throat full of down is not a nice experiance!

WelshTriffid

Jan 11, 2006
Wales
I was a soldier for 6 years and from personal experience the majority of soldiers don't actually use the army issue bags favouring the Snugpak Softie Merlin 3 instead, although the current army issue bags are very good the Merlin is just as warm and comfortable but is half the size and half the weight making it my first choice everytime (it compresses down to fit in one hand). I've used mine in the Omani deserts and the mountains of Macedonia and would never even consider using another sleeping system. As for the old 58 pattern duck down bouncing bomb type bags they are for warm and very cheap to buy but once theyre wet your screwed :eek:

http://www.chasesmith.co.uk/product.asp?numPageStartPosition=1&P_ID=167

Hope this helps

Alchemist

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
Hampshire
The current issue bouncing bomb is warm enough for most conditions, definately. It is, however, a big heavy piece of kit, which as Welsh Triffid points out is not favoured by soldiers at the moment. Most Soldiers go for the Softie range which cost more but are a similar warmth for a smaller package. In my opinion the Softie 3 is a bit too light for winter use- go for a 9. The issue bivi bag is v.good.
The good part with army surplus is that you can buy them cheaply which seems to be your main aim. However, make sure they are in good condition. Also remember that if you will get a lot of use out of a bag, buy once and buy right. It will save money in the longrun.
Generally, Army surplus is a dodgy place to get kit. Some things are v.good quality at v.low prices. Others are v.poor quality at v.low prices. Most soldiers replace half of their issue kit the second they leave basic training.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I think it's touch and go with surplus gear. A lot of issued kit is bombproof, and it has to be giving the general IQ levels of a grunt. (That was a joke, you were all supposed to laugh) But there is also some kit that is poorly designed and not useful at all.

Take this for example: Up until just a few years ago, the RCAF's flight jackets were a gabardine shelled waist length jacket lined with nylon. I say this again: lined with nylon. I've heard horror stories from ex-pilots about them crashing and having large pieces of this nylon melt onto their skin, and in the hospital having the surgeon peeling it off, and skin along with it! This situation has only recently been remedied with new NOMEX flight jackets.

I really believe personal choice is the key word with surplus gear Chris; shop around and learn what could be useful to you and what isn't. Then go spend your money.

Cheers,

Adam

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
if you're short on cash, the "bouncing bomb" is a great bag. nice and warm and with the central zip it's easy to use with a hammock.
yes, it's bulky and heavy, but if you're on a tight budget that's the kind of scrafice you're going to have to make. i have one myself and used it regularly until i got my nanok.
a bivvi bag is also a great investment and is also useful when in a hammock (when you get one.) it'll stop any breeze which will rip the heat out of you very quickly. useful in winter.

NickC

Jan 24, 2004
Reading, Berkshire
Doc said:
If you are over 5'8" or so, the standard length '58 pattern will be a bit short, and a long is preferable.

I found this out to my cost - seemed like a bargin until I realised it was a bit small. I currently use a Snugpack and think it is one of the best for the money. Anybody wants the '58 pattern?

The Gore-tex bivybag is excellent - just a bit long (believe this was something to do with storing kit) but cheap and works.

Nick

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I know and like Snugpak bags, and use a Softie 6 for spring to autumn, and a surplus 58 pattern in winter. Your mileage may vary but I personally would not use a Softie 3 in the British winter. I've found the Softie 6 just about ok to zero celsius in a tent.

Snugpak win on pack size and weight - most people regard the stated temp ratings as a bit optimistic though.

jay120970

Tenderfoot
Sep 9, 2005
devon
yep i agree the 58 ptn is a good bag i have one which i have had for years
its a long as am 6ft and although its lost a few feathers over time its still a good bag
i also use the gortex bivi bag which is also very good (no tent for me)
just dont sleep with your head in the gortex bag breathable or not you will
still get condensation inside
yes put all your kit in it water bottles inside your 58 and your ready for winter
ive took the 58 down to some very cold temps but nearly always been warm
woke up thick in frost been still warm waoke up thick in snow once felt that though lol
ok hope this helps
oh yeh you can get the compression bag of a old sleeping bag and compress a 58 right down and it weighs around 3 kg

Rod

On a new journey
Yep, gets the thumbs up from me - try to buy new or as new - esp a sleeping bag if you can - I've heard a couple of nightmare stories of guys with old '58 pattern pits.

The gerry germans make good kit - I have a winter parka & para boots. Very warm and the Swedes and Norwegians also make excellent kit - packs/stoves/shirts

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I picked up an arctic down bag and a goretex bivvi bag for £50 a couple of weeks ago from a local surplus store. Tried them both out this Saturday night in my local woods and they were superb - couldn`t complain.
I gave mine two washes with soap flakes first as you don`t know who`s been in there before you.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I used the 58 sleeping bag all the time when I was in the army cadets as a kid and never had a restless night. We used them in all seasons in most types of British countryside and always found them to be ok.
My advice, for what it's worth, is to definately check the size of it first. As mentioned earlier, they tend to be a bit small.
And for christ sake don't get it wet! You'll lose all insulation until it's dry and if you do manage to dry it then you may find it'll start smelling really bad!
I wouldn't use a second-hand one without thouroughly cleaning it first though- strange things happen inside a squaddies sleeping bag that don't bear thinking about... :yuck:

This is my first post here by the way- only just joined up- so hi everyone! :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE