Army mess tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tom Gold

Forager
Nov 2, 2012
Scotland
www.thetreeline.co.uk
Just been gifted a 24 x 18 army mess tent alas, without the frame.:( It appears to be either new or in very good shape and although the bag is very battered the grommets are all coated in the same proofing material as the fabric suggesting no use. Does anyone know if its possible to get a frame for it?

It came from Anchor Supplies. Here is its army designation

wpid-dsc_0755.jpg

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I would have suggested anchor as they do spares like the connectors. You may have to improvise with poles though. Scaffolding?

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
Just been gifted a 24 x 18 army mess tent alas, without the frame.:( It appears to be either new or in very good shape and although the bag is very battered the grommets are all coated in the same proofing material as the fabric suggesting no use. Does anyone know if its possible to get a frame for it?

It came from Anchor Supplies. Here is its army designation

wpid-dsc_0755.jpg

I got an army mess tent obviously mine is much much older 60 + mine is not quite as big may be about 8' x 12' x 6' high... for many years its been stored in my mothers leaky shed probably be rotten by now the poles are just simple square 2by2 wooden poles metal eyelets & pins on each end metal sleeve to join together ridge tent style the ones with eyelets across middle length-ways & 3 uprights had the pins which are twisty & 3 large wooden bed knobs screw on top on the outside. should be pretty easy to fabricate if its the same. need to go round & check it out.

Last edited:

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
I got an army mess tent obviously mine is much much older 60 + mine is not quite as big may be about 8' x 16' x 6' high... for many years its been stored in my mothers leaky shed probably be rotten by now the poles are just simple square 2by2 wooden poles metal eyelets & pins on each end metal sleeve to join together ridge tent style the ones with eyelets across middle length-ways & 3 uprights had the pins which are twisty & 3 large wooden bed knobs screw on top on the outside. should be pretty easy to fabricate if its the same. need to go round & check it out.

That would be the old 160 pounder, the Air portables in the OP would be an interesting challenge to improvise a frame for, have a word with a local military cadet unit, Air force or Army are most likely going to be best, they might be able to help, or take it off your hands...

images

Maybe you could make up something like this.

This is what you are missing...

picture_103_1.jpg

Last edited:

Alan 13~7

Settler
Oct 2, 2014
Prestwick, Scotland
That would be the old 160 pounder, the Air portables in the OP would be an interesting challenge to improvise a frame for, have a word with a local military cadet unit, Air force or Army are most likely going to be best, they might be able to help, or take it off your hands...

mine is one of these

http://wwiireenacting.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=53066&view=previous

Dads old army tent by Alan 13-7, on Flickr
this one is not mine but mine is more like this one. Size wise if it weren't for the poles a ford Cortina could fit inside, memories a bit hazy but I remember mine having 3 uprights! last time I saw it up I was not much more than a kid maybe it's not as big as I remember it.... going to see if it has survived first chance I get...

Last edited:

Pete E

Forager
Dec 1, 2004
North Wales

It came from Anchor Supplies.

My first thought is unless your middle name is "Billy Smart" what an earth would you do with it even if you got the poles???

Jaeger

Dec 3, 2014
United Kingdom
Aye Up Tom,
Might be worth having a look at Macro (or scambay?) - some years back I purchased a small garden 'markee' from the former with a tubular steel frame of an almost identical design (just heavier and larger) to the military 9x9/12x12's. Probably more expensive now than the fifty quid that I paid back then but it might be an option. The canvas side walls rotted out after getting soaked in a leaky shed and I only recently got rid of the frame or you could have had it. It was so stable when up that at one pint I considered keeping it and renewing the canvas but finances over-rode the dream!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE