Army lightweights

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

George B

Jun 15, 2005
british army polycotton lightweights, the de riguer of bushcrafty's and builders everywhere, but does anyone know of a reputable, secure online retailer for them. I dont have a surplus shop near me, i've looked on the web and found a few, but they only sell the non leg pocket version. So hopefully you can sort me out folks ;-)

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
Army BDU's are great. Canadian ones are great, and they're a little strangly woven. Like most combats, they're a 50/50 polyester/cotton. But ours have a loose weave of polyester, with the cotton woven on both sides, so the polyester is in the core of the fabric, and the cotton is on the inner/outer of the fabric. They're very loose, I think it's what is called an Aertex weave, and very quick drying.

Heh, funny thing is, they've OD, basically a copy of the US Army's vietnam-era jungle fatigies. It's only in the last couple years or so that we've started phasing them out, in favour of CADPAT, (Canadian Distuptive Pattern) which we then sold to the the USMC, (I think) they call it MARPAT. It's multi-coloured pixels, not unlike the Waffen SS Camo, but in squares and not dots.

You can find replica BDU's here:
http://www.wheelersonline.com/searc...xtsearchParamVen=ALL&txtFromSearch=fromSearch

But unfortunately not the real thing, as I've been told that the CF has a bit of a monopoly on the fabric, and therefore it's illegal for a non-CF member to purchase them. (If I'm wrong, please correct me) Personally, I like the OD's better, and now that they've begun to phase them out, my local surplus store has brand new gear, still unissued, for dirt cheap.

Anyway, that's my having-coffee-not-totally-awake-yet rant!

Cheers,

A.

George B

Jun 15, 2005
ah yes, i'm really sorry bagheera. I didn't notice until today when i logged in again. Unfortunately, someone has already bought one for me, my birthday is a few weeks away. A certain someone must've checked my internet history...oops. Oh well, but it was really nice of you to offer it to me, hopefully someone else can have the pleasure of owning one ;-)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE