army basha/stretcher

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hi guys,

I recently purchased this from the bay - http://www.strikeforcesupplies.co.uk/index.php?method=stock&id=20087

The guy I bought it from advertised it as a ponch/stretcher.
I can obviously see how it works as a stretcher as it has handles on it, and also as a basha/tarp, (its massive) but for the life of me I cant see how its a poncho as it has no hole for your head or hood !!!

I have contacted the guy and he says its the currant issue poncho/basha and was wondering if anyone on here has/used one before?

He has been kind enough to offer me my money back, but I only paid £1.67 plus £2 postage, and its in as new condition, I had a bargain so I think m gonna keep it!!

Any help would be awesome, or if it cant be used as a poncho I shall just buy another one I guess.

All the best
Steve

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
It isn't a poncho matey, it is as you said a basha\stretcher, you could just wrap it round yourself like any sheet of waterproof sheet but it inst its designed use :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
It isn't a poncho matey, it is as you said a basha\stretcher, you could just wrap it round yourself like any sheet of waterproof sheet but it inst its designed use :)

Tbh thats exactly what thought!! you can 'make' anything into a poncho by wrapping it round you, but this guy is adement its intended use is as a poncho!!
I would love to have corrected him and shown him a link to the current issue one but I cant seem to find one anywhere so Im assuming maybe they dont actually get issued with them anymore??
Do you no if this basha I have got is currently issued? does every soldier carry one?
I still think I have had a bargian and as its 2.5 metres by 2.1 I think it will come in handy!!
Cheers
Steve

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Yup its a current issue(as long as it isnt a webtex copy) you have got a bargin chap, Its a very use able size indeed,

393183_10150455267679073_539479072_10519943_990579099_n.jpg

there is no current issue poncho, at least ive not been issued one or heard of one being issued?

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Yup its a current issue(as long as it isnt a webtex copy) you have got a bargin chap, Its a very use able size indeed,

393183_10150455267679073_539479072_10519943_990579099_n.jpg

there is no current issue poncho, at least ive not been issued one or heard of one being issued?

Excellent!! No I dont think its a webtex one mate, it has got an nsn number on it which is how I found it on google, I put that nuber n and it came up with the sheet!
The only thing that is a bit off is the fact its in desert camo, butIm not too bothered about that really!! it will be really handy for car camping as well as out in the woods.
Cheers for your help
Steve

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
No probs:) the desert cam though light doesn't stick out as much as you would think in uk woodland or even open moorland, unless you hang it vertically of course:D

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Your chap probably refered to it as a poncho in good faith. Back in the day of the olive green 58 patt poncho, that was the basha that was in use. Once they went over to the new issue bashas (i.e. your one), they were/are still often referred to as a poncho (albeit incorectly). As has been said- you have got an absolute bargain!

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
Go on tell us the truth.... you only put this thread on here to brag how much you didn't spend.....that was a really good deal .....well done !

Feb 2, 2012
iandstanley
as others have noticed it is a standard issue basha

simple to put up as the photos show with a ridge line and pin out to the sides.

Another find you see on ebay etc is the IPK (individual protection kit)

Standard British Forces issue individual protection kit (primary standard pack) for multiple emergency uses. Each super-compact pack includes 6 pegs, nylon cord and a 9' x 5' olive green fly sheet. Primarily designed for CBRN warfare where trenches and shell scrapes need to be turned into protected single and double kip shelters - but can also be used to build an emergency basha etc. Designed for single disposable use. Colour: olive green.

basically a heavy duty tarp - one other purpose it has it is so heavy duty that you can use it to drive a landrover over a bridge [over a trench] made from it

Retired Member southey

Jun 4, 2006
your house!
No, the ipk is just to catch crud and water as a barrier over which you then build tour roof over or toy can put the sheet over an already constructed roof, its this hard roof that bears any weight, it is a poor multi use shelter, the pegs and cord (which is criss crossed between the pegs to support the sheet)

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
as others have noticed it is a standard issue basha

simple to put up as the photos show with a ridge line and pin out to the sides.

Another find you see on ebay etc is the IPK (individual protection kit)

Standard British Forces issue individual protection kit (primary standard pack) for multiple emergency uses. Each super-compact pack includes 6 pegs, nylon cord and a 9' x 5' olive green fly sheet. Primarily designed for CBRN warfare where trenches and shell scrapes need to be turned into protected single and double kip shelters - but can also be used to build an emergency basha etc. Designed for single disposable use. Colour: olive green.

basically a heavy duty tarp - one other purpose it has it is so heavy duty that you can use it to drive a landrover over a bridge [over a trench] made from it

That brings back memorys :) I remember having to dig the put the ipk down then putting 18 inches of soil on top of the ipk.
The good old days :)
But if you did it correctly it would take a bigger vehicle than a landrover.

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
No, the ipk is just to catch crud and water as a barrier over which you then build tour roof over or toy can put the sheet over an already constructed roof, its this hard roof that bears any weight, it is a poor multi use shelter, the pegs and cord (which is criss crossed between the pegs to support the sheet)

Sorry your wrong the ipk was made NBC or CBRN as it is now known. Other uses for these items only came along because they were left sat in the stores doing nothing !

Last edited:

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
That brings back memorys :) I remember having to dig the put the ipk down then putting 18 inches of soil on top of the ipk.
The good old days :)
But if you did it correctly it would take a bigger vehicle than a landrover.

I thought it was the correct usage of the pegs and line that held the weight of the soil heap the IPK sheet just stoppes it from falling through? however i could be wrong as i have never had to dig in in a CBRN environment

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Go on tell us the truth.... you only put this thread on here to brag how much you didn't spend.....that was a really good deal .....well done !

lol, havig looked about on the net it is defo a bargin!! And I would imagine thats why the chap was so happy to buy it back off me!!

sandbag47

Jun 12, 2007
northampton
I thought it was the correct usage of the pegs and line that held the weight of the soil heap the IPK sheet just stoppes it from falling through? however i could be wrong as i have never had to dig in in a CBRN environment

Basiclly yes that's it.....it was just a 2 by 4 by 6 with a pile of mud on top of it. I have some pics somewhere I'll have to dig them out.

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
iv heard a lot of ex soliders call there basha's a poncho, so I ask them wheres the whole to make it a poncho, im sure the chaps made a mistake with the name, keep tho you womt get it that cheap again :)

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
thanks for the replys, when I originally won the sheet it didnt come with a bag, but I won a poncho bag on ebay too thinking it was for a poncho I had just won!!

It does fit but has to be rolled up quite tight, I have never had a tarp before, will rolling it up tight do it any harm?
its quite good tbh, I was wrong in the initial post, the sheet was £1.44 plus £2.50 p and p and the desret patterned poncho bag was £1.78 plus £1 p and p!!!
I had a real bargain here and am pleased as punch!!
I also won a 85 litre mil com air jet rucksack for £15 quid!! I have done some good shopping even if I do say so myself lol!!
Cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE