Arizzon Wolverine Monolith MKII 90L backpack - The verdict after 3 years of ownership

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Right, a bit of an update. I used my 50 litre version on a three-day trundle over Dartmoor this last (very wet) weekend. I had the side pockets on it throughout.

My initial worries about the side pockets obstructing the wand pockets for water bottle use were borne out to a certain degree. You can still use the wand pockets for the army-type bottles but it is a bit of a wriggle to get them in and out with the pockets in place.

There were one or two other things I noticed. The coatings on the fabric which make it stiff and pretty water resistant also make the drawcords difficult to operate: eyelets placed around the top edge would make the closure a lot easier and more effective. I also found the positioning of the sternum strap inconvenient - well, uncomfortable to a degree. Quite how to remedy this, I don't know. I am also puzzled by the inclusion of the zip around the bottom on a pack this size. It is not needed on a 50 litre rucksack and Arizzon would do well if they dropped it, as well as saving money and improving water resistance. On this last, water resistance, I reckon that the flaps that cover the zips on the lid, side pockets and around the base are a bit stingy and, unless you are really scrupulous about ensuring that they are flattened down carefully over the zips, they won't keep out the wet as effectively as they should and need to. Fuller flaps would be a really worthwhile addition to an otherwise extremely good pack.

For the rest of it, the shoulder straps are good but might benefit from a slightly more defined curvature. The waist belt is excellent, as is the relatively simple adjustable frame system. I also like the 'unelasticated' lid as it will not fail and still affords complete coverage of the top of the pack.

Overall, it's a good 'un and one I will enjoy using for many years to come.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
@ Tilly I'd just like to echo your comments about the rain flaps for the zips and the bottom access zip itself on the 50L. Thanks for posting that up. I've never had an issue with any moisture inside the bag however, just the top pocket on the lid can be a little damp in a storm. Don't get me wrong, I still love this bag, its a performer, just has a few quirks. I've had no issues with the chest strap tho I must say.

Does anyone know if the 16L or 32L can accept the side pockets (the ones shown by BareThrills?)

Last edited:

gabrielsdad

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2012
north staffs
I had the 50L off mertzman, im 6'6" and i find it fine for me. I love this pack, its by far the best backpack ive come across let alone owned. To be fair the furthest ive walked in a day with it is 8 miles. But it felt great to wear. Highly recommended.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
Yes the 32L certainly can, but it does look a bit ungainly.

Oops, should have checked the official site! It does look quite wide and stubby there. I think looks aside it would be ok provided it wasn't loaded up too heavily at the sides.

I had the 50L off mertzman, im 6'6" and i find it fine for me. I love this pack, its by far the best backpack ive come across let alone owned. To be fair the furthest ive walked in a day with it is 8 miles. But it felt great to wear. Highly recommended.

Glad your getting on fine with it and its not just sat at home! Still gutted I had to part with it but life throws lemons sometimes and needs must.

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Oops, should have checked the official site! It does look quite wide and stubby there. I think looks aside it would be ok provided it wasn't loaded up too heavily at the sides.

I have the 32L and it's is a great daysack in it's own right, but the side pockets might not be necessary for an overnighter as the front straps are long enough to allow kit like a sleeping bag or mat to be held on the top and bottom of the pack without needing the pockets. Indeed, it might be possible to fit the "side" pouches to the top and the bottom of the pack, but it would be worth asking the distributor or manufacturers if that would work. I've found them very helpful.

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I have the 32L and it's is a great daysack in it's own right, but the side pockets might not be necessary for an overnighter as the front straps are long enough to allow kit like a sleeping bag or mat to be held on the top and bottom of the pack without needing the pockets. Indeed, it might be possible to fit the "side" pouches to the top and the bottom of the pack, but it would be worth asking the distributor or manufacturers if that would work. I've found them very helpful.

Thanks for that :)
I too have found them helpful and friendly. Ill drop them a line when I'm feeling a little more flush!

I also have a picture of the 50, 70 and 90L bags side by side. The 50L was to be my day bag, (I carry alot of junk)! And the 90L for extended trips. The 70L in the middle belongs to my best mate.The bottle of Zubrowka is a Polish treat.
2013-01-10 12.18.27.jpg

Last edited:

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
I also have a picture of the 50, 70 and 90L bags side by side. I can't get it to upload but ill keep trying.

It would be good to see that. I must confess that after getting the 32L I am tempted to get one of the larger packs once the piggy bank recovers from buying the 32L :)

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
It would be good to see that. I must confess that after getting the 32L I am tempted to get one of the larger packs once the piggy bank recovers from buying the 32L :)

All fixed finally!

I'm curious about the 32L, especially how it sits on the back and how adjustable it is. I can't decide between that amd two sode pockets or another 50L...

Good day BushcraftUK guys,

Apologies for dragging this thread from the depths but did not feel I needed a whole new thread.

Has anyone purchased one of the Monoliths in the last year or two? And if so, is the quality still top notch?

I am planning on picking up one of the 50L for my bush bag and work pack (forester in BC) and want to ensure these are still as good as the original posters results.

Cheers
Andy

MertzMan

Settler
Apr 25, 2012
Cambs and Lincs
I've not purchased a Monolith recently, but I did purchase a Ratel, IIRC, the name escapes me, some 12 months ago. The quality was just as good IMO.

Thanks for this. Not a ton of info out there on these bags but they look great for the price and have all the feature I am after.
Been through Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Karrimor along with many other quality bags and haven't quite found what I am looking for. Hoping this fills the gap with what those were missing.

Are you still running your 90L?

Cheers
Andy

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Thanks for this. Not a ton of info out there on these bags but they look great for the price and have all the feature I am after.
Been through Kifaru, Mystery Ranch, Karrimor along with many other quality bags and haven't quite found what I am looking for. Hoping this fills the gap with what those were missing.

Are you still running your 90L?

Cheers
Andy

Have you had a look at Hill People Gear? Having had an Arizzon, I then sold it and replaced it with, initially, an HPG Umlindi but pursued that hotly with a Qui-Ya. Superb packs both and a good company with which to deal.

I have looked at Hill People particularly the Ute, however with the current exchange it puts it about 200$ cdn more than the Monolith. That and I do not like the zipped top opening (had a Mollex from Kifaru for a while and did not like it).

May I ask why you sold the Arizzon?

Cheers,
Andy

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I have looked at Hill People particularly the Ute, however with the current exchange it puts it about 200$ cdn more than the Monolith. That and I do not like the zipped top opening (had a Mollex from Kifaru for a while and did not like it).

May I ask why you sold the Arizzon?

Cheers,
Andy

I sold the Arizzon for a number of reasons, really. The fabric was very stiff, the pack empty was heavy, I don't like adjustable harnesses, the minimal flaps over the zip on the top pocket annoyed me, as did the endless, to my mind largely superfluous tape loops and straps and I saw absolutely no reason for a zipped base on a 50-odd litre rucksack. It carried comfortably enough and the wand pockets were good but I felt it was just a bit of a clunking piece of kit. By all means make packs out of durable fabric but, if you do so, there will be some kick-back when it comes to weight and flexibility. To use a vehicle analogy, I find it easier to drive to work in a car rather than a tank; the Arizzon is most definitely a tank. If you want or need that then go for it - they are well-made and will no doubt last a l-o-n-g time.

Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the info. For my use, as a bush bag for work the heavy duty weight fabric is a plus as I am not on trails. Bush bashing all day long 5-6 days a week doing timber recces and field engineering cutblocks so tough materials are a must.
My only real concern with the harness is whether or not it may loosen on its own, although I guess some gun tape or double backing the ladderlocks should prevent that.
The zippered base doesn't bother me as long as it has straps as a backup which these appear to do.

How are you liking your HPG large pack? The Ute still draws me but stocking and cost are speed bumps.

Cheers,
Andy

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Richard,

How are you liking your HPG large pack? The Ute still draws me but stocking and cost are speed bumps.

Cheers,
Andy

I love my Qui-Ya. In terms of capacity, it is deceptive as it holds a lot of kit, both inside and out. I was wary of this initially but the compression system is so effective that I never get the feeling of having stuff dangling awkwardly off the pack. It is beautifully made - full marks to the company that produce them for HPG: they have done a superb job. But the thing that I like best about it is the harness and carrying system. It really works incredibly well; it doesn't make the pack lighter (sadly) but it distributes the weight perfectly. Key to that is the shoulder yoke. I have been amazed and delighted by what it does on the Umlindi pack and, on the strength of that, I bought the Qui-Ya. So, yes, I am a very happy customer indeed.

The big one will be my companion on the Cape Wrath Trail this summer, so I'll have fuller feedback after using the thing for 3 or so weeks continuously. But, thus far and after many other big packs from Mystery Ranch, Kifaru, Berghaus, Karrimor and even McHale, this is far and away the most comfortable and easiest to live with.

For your work, it sounds as though the Arizzon will suit you well, purely by merit of its hefty fabric. I didn't find much, if any, 'strap creep' when using it, so you should be OK there. A couple of alternatives that offer pretty bombproof fabric on their packs are Cactus Climbing and Macpac. Both are New Zealand companies that use a canvas material for some of their packs. They're usually pretty competitively priced and, certainly with Cactus, very well made indeed. Might be worth a look...

All the best,
Richard

Richard,

Thanks for the detailed info. I looked at the Macpac; a little too town-ish for me if that makes sense (still like earthtones and 500-100d). The Cactus climbing bags look really nice but they are missing a wider waistbelt for pouches.
To elaborate, I use a chest pack (basically same as the Army days) with pack; chest pack holding all my constant use survey gear like a tablet, field book, GPS, compass, clino, ribbon etc. and then in the pack goes spare rolls of ribbon, rain gear, first aid, lunch, survival kit, warm layers, water, axe (if not carried), and any other specialized gear for the day.
My plan is to have the bottle pouches on the waistbelt and be able to use them for spare ribbon as well so I do not need to stop and take the pack off more than necessary. I guess another question for you would be compressability; I have seen some great photos of the Ute compressed down but I have a feeling with the Wolverine that with the heavier weight materials it may not do as well.
And a big one I almost forgot was is there a framesheet in the Monolith in addition to stays? Or does it want to "round out" when loaded and straps tightened? I basically wrote off my Kifaru bags due to this factor and do not want to have that issue again.

Cheers, and thanks for your time,
Andy

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Richard,

Thanks for the detailed info. I looked at the Macpac; a little too town-ish for me if that makes sense (still like earthtones and 500-100d). The Cactus climbing bags look really nice but they are missing a wider waistbelt for pouches.
To elaborate, I use a chest pack (basically same as the Army days) with pack; chest pack holding all my constant use survey gear like a tablet, field book, GPS, compass, clino, ribbon etc. and then in the pack goes spare rolls of ribbon, rain gear, first aid, lunch, survival kit, warm layers, water, axe (if not carried), and any other specialized gear for the day.
My plan is to have the bottle pouches on the waistbelt and be able to use them for spare ribbon as well so I do not need to stop and take the pack off more than necessary. I guess another question for you would be compressability; I have seen some great photos of the Ute compressed down but I have a feeling with the Wolverine that with the heavier weight materials it may not do as well.
And a big one I almost forgot was is there a framesheet in the Monolith in addition to stays? Or does it want to "round out" when loaded and straps tightened? I basically wrote off my Kifaru bags due to this factor and do not want to have that issue again.

Cheers, and thanks for your time,
Andy

Andy,

Yes, the fabric weight does contribute to its stiffness which, in turn, makes it trickier to compress as you might want. When I posted a few observations on the pack earlier, I think I mentioned the comparative difficulty I had in operating the drawcord closure on the pack; although the side compression straps were not as much of a problem, they did produce folds of relatively inflexible material on a partially loaded pack. Whether you would find this annoying is for you to decide. It didn't really bother me but I certainly noticed it.

On the framesheet front, I'm afraid I can't remember whether it had one or not; however, I do not remember it 'rounding out' when loaded and with the straps tightened. It's an imperfect response, I know, but it is what I recall!

Another company that is definitely worth looking at is Aiguille Alpine Equipment. Based up in the Lake District, they produce a superb range of durable, U.K.-made rucksacks in a wide range of capacities and colours - including earthy tones! If they don't have what you want, I believe that they will customise one of their packs to suit your needs. Way back when, in my hard-core ice climbing/alpiniste days, I had one of their packs and it was excellent. They're a good company to deal with and offer great value for money.

I hope your quest goes well!

Best wishes,
Richard

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE