Are you male or female?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Male or female?

• Total voters

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hmmm - interesting selections here!
Lots more boys than girls (no great suprise realy) 2 who dont want to pin themselves down and loads who although wiolling to look at the poll and vote think the poll is a silley one....
If it is silly why vote?
From what I have seen blokes tend to vastly out-number galls on meets (though on one meet it was 50/50 (hi Lottie!) and on large meets/moots a knowledge of the prospective male/female ratio could be helpful in prividing "facilities" etc
I find it interesting, if not totally representative, to see that there are more who will not vote for their gender than are female........

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
From what I have seen blokes tend to vastly out-number galls on meets (though on one meet it was 50/50 (hi Lottie!) and on large meets/moots a knowledge of the prospective male/female ratio could be helpful in prividing "facilities" etc

Facilities!!!! we women bushcrafters don't need facilities, we know what a bush is for!!!:D

I don't expect special treatment, I just take acception to been called less female because my hobbies. MrX had the same problem ten years ago when I worked and he took the little ones to 'Mums and Tots groups'. They are called toddler groups now. See in my opinion it is not political correctness to help an individual that is a bit different from the rest of a group feel like they are welcome, it is common politeness.

The vast majority of the people i have met through here have that common politeness.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Ahh - at some places, like Swyns, there are very nice "facilities" and bushes may not be the ideal for male or female use when the user/ground area ratio is high......
it is then that "facilities" are needed.
Some of the female race do not like using the same "facilities" as are used by the males as, for some reason they concider that males are not very "house-broken"... (having been, amongst other things, a lavvy cleaner I know it is the other way around:D )
As for bushes - much preferable to public loos, chemical loos and longdrops!
As for people thinking you are less "gender specific" because of your hobbies - I have diplomas in Fashion Design and Aromatherapy, spend a lot of time acting (you have seen the picture!) and enjoy sewing......
The looks I get!
Does not worry me though as I am confident in my own being....and I enjoy watching the confusion on the faces of those who are so stereotypically hide bound as to not understand that men can sew and women be welders and still be no less male or female!

I would be more than keen to welcome a person to bushcrafting no matter what their gender/hobbies/physical needs/emotional needs/whatever.
Why should any of the above diminish the person in the eyes of another?
Everyone is my friend and I will go out of my way to make them as welcome as possible - even if it means having to organise separate "facilities" for them.....
:D

xylaria

Personally i had no problem with the facilites at swyn's.

I only used the loos when i wouldn't dare leave the barn:umbrella:

Chemical toilets are evil. We have done mass events with chemical toilets, and we took to bringing a bucket with kitty litter and plastic bags. I have also been in a caravan when the **** i was dating decided to go for a early morning number two, that was nasty. After that I can't imagine a loo that is used by any bushcrafters being of a unusable standard. We can all miss.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
John, your quite right, in my experience it is the unfair sex who wreck the loos.

(unless the males are drunk and then they can compete pretty well)

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I was about to opt for the grumpy old git option then out of interest checked out the poll results to see who had voted. To my surprise I have just discovered somebody who I believed to be male is actually female (not gonna say who) so I therefore cannot categorise this particular poll as pointless :p. Although I must confess to being ever so slightly worried about those that would rather not say :eek:

lottie.lou

Forager
Oct 9, 2007
Preston
I was about to opt for the grumpy old git option then out of interest checked out the poll results to see who had voted. To my surprise I have just discovered somebody who I believed to be male is actually female (not gonna say who) so I therefore cannot categorise this particular poll as pointless :p. Although I must confess to being ever so slightly worried about those that would rather not say :eek:

I really hope you haven't met them.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Just a simple minded male. Women? Don't understand them, and probably never will. Altho I still luv them - OK, I luv some of them.

Toilet seat up or down? Yeah, females need it down, males often want it up. Why is there a problem?

Now to the heart of the issue:

Males almost always get "blamed" for leaving the seat up. But no male will ever "blame" a female for always leaving the seat down! (at least not if he wants to live throught the night!!!!!!)

Why is that?

Plus, it's an extremely simple mechanical device. If it's up and you want it down, JUST PUT IT DOWN! (or vice versa) Why does somebody need to be "blamed" for this?

Ooops, sorry about that. I forgot. I don't understand women - and never will.

But I still luv 'em!

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

p.s. The toilet seat in my house is always down - INCLUDING the lid. Helps keep the 4-legged carpet crawlers from playing in the water. So EVERYBODY has to choose which option they want!

N

Neolithic

Ooh...I can't believe there are so few women! How odd!

Hmm...or maybe the others are too busy painting their nails to reply...

lol!

Have to say too, I always leave the toilet seat up, helps to avoid wetting yourself..plus we're trying to persuade our four legged carpet crawlers to use it too...nearly there I think, or it might just be wishful thinking...

Oh, and I'm female I should add...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Males almost always get "blamed" for leaving the seat up. But no male will ever "blame" a female for always leaving the seat down! (at least not if he wants to live throught the night!!!!!!)

Why is that?

QUOTE]

Oooh them's fighting words.....actually in my house the lid's down too so everyone has to choose anyway.

The female response to Mike's query though....

How do you get a man to change a toilet roll ??
They can do that ??? :eek:

;) :D

cheers,
Toddy

UKHaiku

Forager
Dec 27, 2007
York, UK
<snip..>
Have to say too, I always leave the toilet seat up, helps to avoid wetting yourself..
<snip..>

That's what the basin is for isn't it? *whistles innocently*

:D

Seriously though, my ex and I used to argue about this one (light-heartedly, but still..) - she likes the lid up, seat down, which drives me to distraction. Up or down is fine for me, but the seat and the lid have to be in the same position.. (I do prefer down though - less chance of dropping my mobile down there accidentally - there's been an occasional close call on that one :eek:)

p.s. I think the thread itself is fine, but didn't really see much point in male/female in terms of a poll, but then I'm not a fan of statistics for the sake of statistics :)

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Ah, the TP roll. Another "relationship landmine" to live through!

I change it all the time. But I also check to see if there is ANY tp left on the roll before I sit - a habit learned by much personal experience. ;)

And that leads to another testy issue - paper feeding over the top or from underneath?

Such simple ... details ... of everyday life that cause so much frustration to some people.

Personally, I have no TP holder next to the porcelin throne or in the outhouse. The roll just sits on the tank (seat in the outhouse). So you just pick up the roll to use some, and roll it off in your personal choice of over or under. But lately I've had to move the roll in the house (those 4-legged carpet crawlers). So it now hangs on the handle of a pipewrench clamped onto the pipes right beside the watercloset. (And that way I always know where one pipewrench is when I have to fix those pipes!)

Male/Female? The outdoors have always tended to attract more males than females. Nature or Nurture? Who knows? (Altho some researchers have and will continue to get large $'s grants from the gov'mnt to study it! :rolleyes: )

Just my humble opinions to share. But then, I'm not average 9-to-5 rat race, city dwelling, sports junky male.

Mikey - yee ol' grumpy blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

xylaria

Personally, I have no TP holder next to the porcelin throne or in the outhouse. The roll just sits on the tank (seat in the outhouse). So you just pick up the roll to use some, and roll it off in your personal choice of over or under. But lately I've had to move the roll in the house (those 4-legged carpet crawlers). So it now hangs on the handle of a pipewrench clamped onto the pipes right beside the watercloset. (And that way I always know where one pipewrench is when I have to fix those pipes!)

Now that sounds like my kind interior decor, very practical. I honest don't understand the toilet paper and lid up/down arguements, it just seems pettyness.

Male/Female? The outdoors have always tended to attract more males than females. Nature or Nurture? Who knows? (Altho some researchers have and will continue to get large $'s grants from the gov'mnt to study it! :rolleyes:
)

I honestly think that a lot of women are insane not go outside and get dirty, and i don't hold with feminist idea that it is male oppession that makes women like that. I have always being competely perplexed by other women who get nerotic about their wieght, and then won't do anything that might mess up thier hair, like go out for walk and enjoy life. As a teenager I got lot of critism off boys in my peer group for not been girly enough but then they grew up to be penpushers in offices, with beer guts and married to women that are nerotic about thier wieght, and moan about the toilet seat. life is funny like that.

N

Neolithic

I have always being competely perplexed by other women who get nerotic about their wieght, and then won't do anything that might mess up thier hair, like go out for walk and enjoy life.

I used to be like that...then I got a life..

lol

I think once you get into that frame of mind, where everything needs to be clean, tidy and 'just-so' it just gets out of control, and you forget to live in the middle of being perfect...

As for the toilet paper, it's kept on the back of the loo, my only problem is when I don't check and find it across the room...I was once stupid enough to ask why it always ended up there...turns out I didn't want to know. Wise words though - always check first! lol

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE