Are you into Tantos??????

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Then Mike Stewart at BRK&T has answered your call!!! :wave:
537589-sencaus_brk%26t-desert-ironwood-tanto.jpg

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
You wouldn't happen to have Bark River shares would you?? :rolmao: It is very noticeable that you do post a lot of "here is the latest from..." Just wondering :wink:

Some years ago I read an article in Traditional Bowhunter which extolled the virtues of an Americanised tanto for wilderness use (using the Cold Steel design). At the time it sounded interesting, but not quite enough for me to try it. Glad I didn't, since then I have handled such knives and think that, at a pinch they would be better than nothing, but not a good primary choice!

As far as that particular design goes, its elegant, but I can think of half a dozen reasons why I would be hesitant to buy it for any purpose, other than to look at. Not an outdoors knife.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Nothing wrong with the size as far as British Law is concerned. If you are somewhere you are able to carry a sheath knife, the law does not distiguish between short ones and long ones.

Nor is it "too large" for bushcraft. There are many people with a great deal of experience who swear by 6 and 7 inch knives, backed up with little 2-3 inch folders.

My reasoning is based upon the design as a whole, not just the size, or the blade grind, or the blade shape.

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Isnt a tanto designed for combat? seems like a funny thing for BRK&T to add to their rage of "bushcrafters" and hunting type knives.. maybe Yangtze River Knife and Tool??

CM Burns

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2003
London
i think that Bark River have added this to their range because there are plenty of idiots like me who buy beautiful but totally impractical knives :roll:

That reinforced tanto point is great for prying and digging. :yikes: Try doing that with any other point.

In fact, if you have volume 10 of the woodsmaster series"Survival camping" Hoodlums Bill Hays and Bill Qualls were digging out a snared ground squirrel and there was a burried rock above the hole . :yikes:

And the Anaconda came through with flying colors. :biggthump

Here is a pic of Bill Qualls with said squirrel
mysquirrel2.jpg

Here's Bill's SITE

Ts1spoc

Dec 2, 2004
Kansas, USA
I like the Tanto point knives. :biggthump I think the're kind of sexy. :naughty: I have a 6 inch bladed Taylor Seto tanto with a rubberized handle and brass screw on pommel that I traded a friend for and it has to be my favorite sheath knife to carry. :) I have several tanto points knives that I use at work and in the field. I can punch a hole into a can of beans and take the top off with out worrying about breaking it. In fact if needed I could cut a hole in the roof of a car to extract someone. I have pried doors and crates open with it. I can skin with it. If I don't have a small axe its perfect for splitting wood with a baton. The point can be used as a skew chisel to carve with. If I only had one knife to carry this would be it. Just because it is a good all around blade and strong. There are other blade shapes that are better suited to a particular task like skinning or carving but they are specialized for that use.
I would agree that if you were stopped by a police officer :nono: that it would probably be easier to explain that a green river pattern knife is for hunting than a tanto point. I am just glad I don't have go through what you guys do to carry a knife that I call a tool not a weapon.
Silly as it sounds back in the day it used to be illegal to carry a pair of wire cutting pliers on your person. This was from the days of range wars and fence cutting to steal cattle and grazing area. That law was repealed long ago. Now it's not unusual to see people in the local grocery store carry a pair of slip joint or needle nose pliers in a leather sheath attached to their belt.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
:rolmao: I think that nothing could be hoped to point up the differences between American outdoor philosophy and European thinking than that! :eek:):

I read a review in Tactical Knives about the Screaming Eagle. I think it is about as ugly a knife as you could get, and could think of few things I would want to use if for.

BUT

That is only because the things I choose to do, and the places I do them in this country, do not need such a tool. A lot of people sneer at sharpened pry bars, but there are times when a sharpened pry is useful, its just that most people don't run into such situations all that often!

The Americanised tanto is very strong. It trades penetrative ability, and cutting efficiency for strength. You could change the edge geometry though and make one cut as well as a Scandi. Horses for courses. I reckon that other TOPS knives would have worked as well for digging and prying with different shaped points, if they retained the same spine strength and short bevels.

That particular Bark River knife has not been designed FOR a particular job, too long for easy carving, not beefy enough for prying, a poor handle for chopping/retention, the bolsters will make it heavier without adding a guard, so not so practical for fighting. The wood handle, bolster, and handle shape wouldn't make for a good combat knife (different needs from fighting).

It looks nice though and will probably be a hit with collectors. Mike was probably asked by loads of people to make a tanto...hence this offering.

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
tomtom said:
Isnt a tanto designed for combat? seems like a funny thing for BRK&T to add to their rage of "bushcrafters" and hunting type knives.. maybe Yangtze River Knife and Tool??

BRKT haven't added this model to there standard line - it's just a limited run of 100 from pre-made blanks.

It's not their usual convex grind, nor is it A2.

One of the employees at BRKT was working on one of these in his own time for a friend and when Mike posted a picture of it there was a lot of interest.

This is what sparked the interest.
Mike%20Stewart_tom%5C%27s%231.jpg

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
CUTTING THE TOPS OFF CANS?? PRYING?? DIGGING????

WITH YOUR KNIFE!!!!!!! :shock: WHY??? :?:

why would you dig with your knife??? unless you really enjoy ruining the edge

when in bushcraft do you really need to cut the tops of cans and dig with your knife?? why would you sacrifice wood carving ability to do such meaningless tasks??

if you want to open a can, use a can opener

if you want to dig a hole use a spade (or fashion yourself some form of digging impliment)

I dont care what kind of knife you use, I am far more intrested in your ability to use it.

but cans, car roofs and digging this is not the way you use a bushcraft knife

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Now then now then Stuart :wink:

There are many ways to practice bushcraft, not all revolve around 3 inch scandis.

I admit that if I want into a can I use the can opener on my SAK...can't really see the point in abusing a good knife for that. However, many very experienced outdoorsmen like big, tough knives, and use them for prying and digging, with success.

As the saying goes, if it is dumb, but works, it isn't dumb.

Anyway, this is all going a whee bit off topic :roll: The debate on big knives vs small knives is long running, it might be interesting to start another thread to discuss, but I think that we have rather hijacked Big-Target's thread about the BRK&T Tanto :lol:

Its still pretty, but if it isn't A2, convex, and made of an existing blank...is it a true Bark River?

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
nobody had the problem with the mini axe which they modify.

That looks like a handy bat for com as they say on BB. Americans do seem to like their big blades. It was interesting to see the reaction I got when I suggested bowie might have had a six in knife rather then 14inch blade. (I did a lot of rersearch before suggesting that)

Odd that BRKT normaly do an axe which most people think will be too small, a knife that some love but others think could do with a bigger handle and now something that is much larger.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE