Are you a coffee head?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
Because of my line of work, I have access to a barista machine (the espresso ones) and I'm pretty nifty with the old steam wand and latte art too (as in 9 times out of 10 I can make a nice leaf shape....I'm by no means an expert).. unfortunately it sort of spoils me, when we're away I'm craving the coffee machine haha..

Thing with barista coffee is that there is a lot more science behind the extraction than one would think... clean coffee machine reduces bitterness, freshly ground coffee, correct measure of coffee in the group head, correct extraction time and correct volume of water...

I typically just drink decaf (Swiss water method) these days unless bought out... that way I don't end up shaking like a leaf..

Decaf first thing also doesn't *ahem* encourage you (if you know what I mean), if coffee has that affect on you, so it's quite a handy alternative if you're camping and the area is less discreet than one previously thought...

Oh also, if people weren't aware, coffee is a diuretic, meaning it will encourage you to wee more...so make sure you keep up fluids generally.

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
I’ve used a Italian coffee percolator with Lavazza coffee for years, to me it’s spot on.
I now use instant LOR intense, rich & aromatic coffee from B&M stores.
I’ve found a perfect way to make it, use a Kuksa cup, brown sugar & coffee with milk. Followed by hot not boiling water( as it burns the coffee, gently pure so there’s a little coffee floating on top.
Lush.

Reactions: billycoen and SaraR

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Because of my line of work, I have access to a barista machine (the espresso ones) and I'm pretty nifty with the old steam wand and latte art too (as in 9 times out of 10 I can make a nice leaf shape....I'm by no means an expert).. unfortunately it sort of spoils me, when we're away I'm craving the coffee machine haha..

Thing with barista coffee is that there is a lot more science behind the extraction than one would think... clean coffee machine reduces bitterness, freshly ground coffee, correct measure of coffee in the group head, correct extraction time and correct volume of water...

I typically just drink decaf (Swiss water method) these days unless bought out... that way I don't end up shaking like a leaf..

Decaf first thing also doesn't *ahem* encourage you (if you know what I mean), if coffee has that affect on you, so it's quite a handy alternative if you're camping and the area is less discreet than one previously thought...

Oh also, if people weren't aware, coffee is a diuretic, meaning it will encourage you to wee more...so make sure you keep up fluids generally.
I stayed at a Spanish research station in Antarctica a while back and spent a substantial portion of my six weeks there in front of the frankly enormous espresso machine that they had in the dining room, perfecting a just-right-for-me cup of coffee. A café-sized coffee grinder was available as well of course.

• Wow
Reactions: Scottieoutdoors

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I stayed at a Spanish research station in Antarctica a while back and spent a substantial portion of my six weeks there in front of the frankly enormous espresso machine that they had in the dining room, perfecting a just-right-for-me cup of coffee. A café-sized coffee grinder was available as well of course.
Coffee aside, that sounds incredible! I love the idea of going to Antartica, working there sounds even better!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
Coffee aside, that sounds incredible! I love the idea of going to Antartica, working there sounds even better!
It was very cool to be able to watch feeding humpback whales and big ice bergs in the bay and Gentoo penguins on the beach from the dinner queue. Most of my time was spent in a lab with a view of a crumbly rock face though.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
It was very cool to be able to watch feeding humpback whales and big ice bergs in the bay and Gentoo penguins on the beach from the dinner queue. Most of my time was spent in a lab with a view of a crumbly rock face though.
Still sounds amazing though. So jelly!

Reactions: SaraR

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The verdict is in for breakfast coffee. Rip open 2 Keurig dark roast pods into a Lagostina press for a 12 oz mug. Eat a good Navel orange while the kettle boils. South African Delta orange are a reasonable equivalent. Their Navels are crud.

Rockfarm

Tenderfoot
Aug 26, 2021
Costa Rica
youtube.com
The mountain town I live in, here in Costa Rica produces lots of coffee. The co-op that preps and roasts the beans is about 200 meters from my house! Lol
Don Tolo is a favorite of mine, a lady down the street brings me a 17oz. Bag for less than 4 bucks. Here the traditional method to make a cup is filling a "coffee sock" that you buy cheap at the store with the ground beans. It hung by a frame with your cup below and just pour the hot water thru.

MattyWW

Feb 11, 2023
Leamington Spa
This is tempting. I've been toying with the idea of using the jetboil as a cafetiere. Still struggle with the desire of not having an extra thing. I may have to let that go.

MattyWW

Feb 11, 2023
Leamington Spa
The mountain town I live in, here in Costa Rica produces lots of coffee. The co-op that preps and roasts the beans is about 200 meters from my house! Lol
Don Tolo is a favorite of mine, a lady down the street brings me a 17oz. Bag for less than 4 bucks. Here the traditional method to make a cup is filling a "coffee sock" that you buy cheap at the store with the ground beans. It hung by a frame with your cup below and just pour the hot water thru.
I've experiemented with something similar when making cold brew coffee. Millbank bag re-use?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE