Are you a coffee head?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
Brilliant things, really the best portable espresso. I sold mine to Toddy because I’d replaced it with the Nanopresso which is pod friendly, but I miss the inbuilt cup on the Mini.
I got one of those based upon your thread on ROF.....

Reactions: Nice65

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Running the contents of Keurig pods through a Lagostina press is a nice way to start another -5C snowy day.
Been following what’s happening around you since the fires and 50° heat last year. Man, the mudslides and what’s happening is crazy, is it mainly deforestation that’s letting all the soil slide about like gravy? I read that Canada is feeling the worst of the climate change situation, you’re getting very extreme weather changes.

According to our forecasters we‘re about to get the first sniff of winter next week. Of course it’s often referred to as The Beast from The East, or more sensibly for this one, a polar vortex. I tend to call it Winter, a cold time of year, but we should be in the negative temps too. The dripper pot sits and keeps warm on the stove.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Logging practices are very careful to conserve all sorts of root systems. As fast as the trees come down ( just a "fiber crop" in most circumstances), summer replanting is always well up into the millions. Billions total by now. Yes, you are being watched.

The biggest issue has been the tremendous range fires over the past couple of summers which have killed all the plants so soil cohesion is gone. We don't have soil or dirt like you do. 6-8" needle duff organics (burnt now) on the forest floor and clay/sand/rock under that. Does not take much water to grease that up and away the mountain side goes. 70kph wall of rocks, mud, water and smashed logs, here it comes.

Some of our highways have stretches carved into quite steep mountain sides. A few days of local big rain to grease that up and trees or no trees, the entire highway takes off down the mountain side. A friend of mine lives a charmed life. She has witnessed that **** happen in her rear view mirror.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Historically and today, what are the top brands of tea? I bought some very expensive oolong. The card said I could steep 4-5 cups from one unit of leaves. I'm not going to suck on the bottom of a compost heap. One cup and out they went.

The Keurig pods are good. The dark roast made east of me in Jasper National Park is fine.

Your BBC has excellent online coverage of the doo-doo happening south of me in BC. My kids say you can't imagine the noise and the 50-70kph flood speeds. Jeez! And I had a day of +44C at the end of June.

TLM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
I am using a small mortar for chaga, #1 son has taken his great grandmother's coffee grinder into use, still works as intended. It is from late 1800.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I inherited an ancient(?) coffee bean grinder. All brass fittings and dark woods, quite elegant. The electric takes 20 seconds. This thing, I can finish just as the kettle comes to a boil. For lazy days, just rip open a Keurig pod and be done with it.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Naan bread lying around. Found 1/2 a Sha-Li/winter pear and a regular Bartlett just coming on sloppy ripe. Needed local dark coffee beans, in the electric, ready in seconds while the kettle came up and I ate some pear.
Not another sound in the house. Silence. Not even the big shipping container trains 2 blocks away.
The clouds lifted maybe 10,000', lots of fresh snow. Makes for fabulous drinking water in my kitchen tap.

Yeah, it's coffee time.

Scottieoutdoors

Settler
Oct 22, 2020
Devon
I missed this thread first time around, so I'm going to resurrect it.

I love coffee. My grandparents were instsnt coffee drinkers, my folks were ground coffee drinkers... so I actually have no issue with either style... I can appreciate "real" coffee tastes better, but for camping, instant coffee has never been a bad option, especially when keeping weight down.

I now use a local roastery for my coffee and it's thoroughly (and rightly so) put me off all the big chains (costa, starbucks etc)... I used to just drink black coffee and the chains coffee on its own tastes foul!

SaraR

Mar 25, 2017
Ceredigion
I missed this thread first time around, so I'm going to resurrect it.

I love coffee. My grandparents were instsnt coffee drinkers, my folks were ground coffee drinkers... so I actually have no issue with either style... I can appreciate "real" coffee tastes better, but for camping, instant coffee has never been a bad option, especially when keeping weight down.

I now use a local roastery for my coffee and it's thoroughly (and rightly so) put me off all the big chains (costa, starbucks etc)... I used to just drink black coffee and the chains coffee on its own tastes foul!
I much prefer filter coffee to espresso-based coffee, which sadly is much more common in the UK and in coffee shops etc. It's just not as nice and I miss that.

I don't mind instant coffee, I just never know how much to put into whatever volume water I have at the time. Once you've got it dialed in to a specific mug, it's fine.

grizzlyj

Nov 10, 2016
NW UK
I have all manner of coffee producing devices but keep coming back to an MSR mugmate or knock off version on amazon, made in an insulated Snow Peak 450ml mug which I think I bought in about '95. That means if I make a tea in a noninsulated mug at the same time then the coffee is spot on when the tea's finished. Same teaspoon every day too for three demeraras.
I used to have Carte Noire ground which is usually just by the door discounted in all French supermarkets so maybe their equivalent to Nescafe? Recently that's harder for me to get so Kirkland tins of Arabica is a bit cheaper and I get the tins :)
But, now I scoop the coffee into the filter with a spoon from the tin rather than just tipping it from the Carte Noire packet I discover 6-7 tablespoons to fill it is maybe a bit much. My GP was keen to medicate my excessively high blood pressure last year at 150 over something, but no, I said I'll sort it out, lose weight, eat better etc. Turns out having my one mega coffee a day is a bad idea just before a Drs appointment :)

zornt

Nomad
Apr 6, 2014
Ohio, USA
My blood type is coffee!
How do I like my coffee?
Black as my soul.
Hotter than the hinges of Hades.
Preferably served in the skulls of my enemys.
My favorite way to make coffee is Cowboy coffee with a pinch of salt to tone down the bitterness.
Jon

Reactions: Brizzlebush

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE