Are you a Bushcraft "Anorak"

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
O

Old Timer

(You haven’t described your ‘ordinary guy going for a walk in the country’ attire. Is that a rambler clone or tweed jacket, flat ‘at and plus fours? Good topic. See you at the moot. I'll be the one in the deerstalker. ;)

Pablo.[/QUOTE]

My wife describes me as looking like a farm worker:lmao:

O

Old Timer

Be fair,

Thats what you set out to do. When you choose words like "clone" and "militia", you have clearly set out to insult and draw attention to yourself. No problem with attention seeking but please, don't be coy about it.

Red

Sometimes peoples underlying reaction to a question tells you more than their answer.
I don't see words like "clone" or "militia" as insulting, just descripive.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Really?

Sometimes peoples duplicity or lack of social grace lets me know more about them than the question they post.

Your lack of awareness of why you have ruffled "quite a few feathers" is rather telling don't you think?

Red

O

Old Timer

Really?

Sometimes peoples duplicity or lack of social grace lets me know more about them than the question they post.

Your lack of awareness of why you have ruffled "quite a few feathers" is rather telling don't you think?

Red

People tend to dress alike as a need to belong to something. If that is what they want, then my post won't have bothered them.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I thought your question was an interesting one though I felt it could have been framed
better. By setting up a "they do this and I do that" dichotomy it perhaps heightened
the sense that you were being critical, particularly with the phrase "their only topic of
conversation" which is fairly difficult to read as anything other than being critical.

Nothing particularly wrong with being critical on occasion - and I thought some of the
earlier responses were unnecessarily harsh - but the original post didn't come across
as entirely neutral in the way that Wayland and Lush's "remixing" of the questions did.

Right, I am off to inspect the local foliage :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Indeed,

And people often need to draw attention to themselves to mask their inadequacy. I look forward to reading your positive contributions to the forum. The ones where you bring your experience and knowledge that show your equipment, knowledge and original ideas to be of benefit to the community. Where you explain how to use useful techniques that you have developed, the ideas behind the equipment you have designed and or built, the insights you have gained and the knowledge you choose to share to the benefit of others.

Clearly you have waited thus far to build the anticipation

Red

O

oilyrag

I think i fall into more than one of your generalisations:

I wear US M65 shorts or trousers in OG or sand as i like the pockets, a berghaus techy-tee as they were £5 from tkmaxx, a dark green HH 300 fleece as it was £15 in tkmaxx, blue and black SprayWay goretex xcr mountaineering jacket £99 from outlet centre in Swindon, green british army socks and orange meindl air revolution 3.1 boots. I carry a blue karimoor Eclipse 35ltr or a Blue Outwell 80ltr and have blue trekking poles.

Homemade tarp, nomad hammock, swiss army mossie net, swiss army cook set, homemade billy, homemade popcan stove, swiss army blanket, german doss bag (getting swiss carinthia on thursday), muela/victorinox bushcraft knife, firekit, phone and firstaid and a copy of ray mears essential bushcraft.

swagman

Nomad
Aug 14, 2006
Tasmania
People tend to dress alike as a need to belong to something. If that is what they want, then my post won't have bothered them.

Old timer do you not think that most people on this forum including myself were
greens and browns basicly earthy coulers because thats what blends in to the
wilderness.?

Do you think mountain rescue were bright coulers to belong or because its the
most pratical thing to were.?

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well now. With some notable exceptions, I seem to have ruffled quite a few feathers.

You are absolutely correct rik_uk3, bushcraft is a "foreign" term. I can remember when it was called "Fieldcraft" until the army hijacked the word for use in sniper training.
Perhaps we should start a campaign to regain the word. I think it fits better don't you?;)

Fieldcraft is by far a better term, but I fear we are stuck with Bushcraft, but thats not a problem really.

I was a keen four season hillwalker for many years, then marriage and children and a different job came along, and the hillwalking slowly but surely stopped. After a good few years I started collecting classic camp stoves (old Primus type etc), then followed a cheap dome tent and a few camp trips to try out my stoves. To be honest, I did not feel comfortable in my dome tent, on a 'real' camp site, not my cup of tea to be honest. Then good old Ray Mears crops up on telly and bingo, my interest in the outdoors started again. It was a style of camping I had enjoyed as a young lad, a bit rough around the edges but great fun. The rest is history.

Now, I'm a 52 year old born again Schoolboy, Hex 3 tipi in regular use along with a classic stove or more (and open fire when an available option) and I'm sizing up my options on a bigger tent that my wife says will suit her as she too wants to come camping now.

So, bushcraft, fieldcraft, call it what you will, wear what you like, spend what you want, just enjoy it. Last winter I told a mate I was off camping in the Brecon Beacons in January, "are you crazy" was his reply, but while he stayed home and watched the telly, I camped in cold weather, with clear and star filled nights to look at; so, who was the crazy one out of the two of us?

Enough of the rant, I've just come off duty at the hospital after a night shift and need some sleep

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon

So, bushcraft, fieldcraft, call it what you will, wear what you like, spend what you want, just enjoy it. [/QUOTE]

WOW Thankyou, :)

JURA

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
devon
Fieldcraft is by far a better term, but I fear we are stuck with Bushcraft, but thats not a problem really.

I was a keen four season hillwalker for many years, then marriage and children and a different job came along, and the hillwalking slowly but surely stopped. After a good few years I started collecting classic camp stoves (old Primus type etc), then followed a cheap dome tent and a few camp trips to try out my stoves. To be honest, I did not feel comfortable in my dome tent, on a 'real' camp site, not my cup of tea to be honest. Then good old Ray Mears crops up on telly and bingo, my interest in the outdoors started again. It was a style of camping I had enjoyed as a young lad, a bit rough around the edges but great fun. The rest is history.

Now, I'm a 52 year old born again Schoolboy, Hex 3 tipi in regular use along with a classic stove or more (and open fire when an available option) and I'm sizing up my options on a bigger tent that my wife says will suit her as she too wants to come camping now.

So, bushcraft, fieldcraft, call it what you will, wear what you like, spend what you want, just enjoy it. Last winter I told a mate I was off camping in the Brecon Beacons in January, "are you crazy" was his reply, but while he stayed home and watched the telly, I camped in cold weather, with clear and star filled nights to look at; so, who was the crazy one out of the two of us?

Enough of the rant, I've just come off duty at the hospital after a night shift and need some sleep

hey. sorry i still cant seem to do this.. love this reply but esp the sentance i tried to highlight...many apologies

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I know what it is.........its the wet weekend. What with this thread and the RM posh shirt thread, everyones getting a bit hot under the collar.
I know how ya feel,I was planning a mooch for a roe buck this morning but the wind and rain at 4 am, its just wasn't worth it. I'll go for a nice long walk, re-read some of my Henry Williamsons classics and enjoy a pint.
Chill out guys (and girls)............lifes too short.

Brian.T

Tenderfoot
May 24, 2007
Worthing, West Sussex

I know what you mean Rik. When my kids were younger we used to go camping with the following kit. 2 ridge tents for sleeping in. 1 frame tent for storage/washing/games in wet weather/having a few cans in once the kids were asleep/anything else I have forgotten. 1 ancient toilet tent. 1 lean-to shelter for eating/cooking under, made of a tarpaulin, some sticks, various bits of rope and a few other bits and bobs.

I dont think I would have felt at all comfortable using most of this lot at a 'conventional' campsite, alongside all the new and fancy kit!

Give me somewhere more 'relaxed' any day of the week. :)

O

oilyrag

Myself out yesterday, Braunwald in the Central Swiss Alps. Mixture of mil and non-mil kit, predominantly the colour of the surroundings, apart from my orange meidl's (cammo for alpine flower meadows!)
my.php

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Fieldcraft is by far a better term, but I fear we are stuck with Bushcraft, but thats not a problem really...

I like the term 'fieldcraft' very much. For an expanded opinion on terminology read post #14, here: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18184

...Now, I'm a 52 year old born again Schoolboy...

Ditto, except I'm three years younger

...So, bushcraft, fieldcraft, call it what you will, wear what you like, spend what you want, just enjoy it...

Mega Ditto.

Best regards,
Paul.

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
hey. i still cant seem to do this...many apologies

You're deleting/rewriting/moving the quote 'tags' in Rik's posts, JURA. That's what's causing the quote errors.

It doesn't matter if you rewrite 'QUOTE' as 'quote', but it does matter if you delete a square bracket at the beginning or end of a quote tag - '['' or ']' – or, if you move the poster's 'tags' that you are trying to quote, into your text, or if you delete the original poster 'tags' or part of the 'tags'. And a 'tag' is everything between the square brackets at the beginning and end of quoted text.

Hope this helps :)

Best regards,
Paul.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE