Are there working sgian dubhs?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
After reading the billhook thread over on britishblades, I'm feeling the traditional side of these tools. Plenty of scandinavian traditional blades are sold to be 'users'. But it's not quite the same with our traditional blades, as far as I can see. Are there any makers who create usable sgian dubhs?

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
I have one of Stuarts Sgian Dbus myself, and I have used it once or twice, but my main user is a CS Mini-Culloden when I'm in my Kilt.

Stewart Mitchell
newdoo.jpg

Cold Steel
DSCF0487.jpg

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Mine is :D
It was bought as a Sheffield sgian dubh blank from Andy on British Blades.
Warthog1981 handled it with burr for me and inset a piece of silver celtic knotwork :approve:
It's shaving sharp (I tried it on one of my sons to his utter confusement :D Mother nature didn't provide me with enough hair on my arms for the traditional bushcrafter's bald forearm look :rolleyes: )
I've only really used it for food prep and a few feather sticks.
There's a photo of it somewhere on the forums. I'll have a looksee. No where near as posh a blade as the ones Stuart makes though.
IMG_8994.JPG

IMG_8995.JPG

IMG_8996.JPG

cheers,
Toddy

photos

Last edited:

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
It's purpose was as a concealed weapon, as you'd expect with a knife kept in your sock.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's just the wee knife at hand.

The dirk was the weapon..........basically if you fought against an armed Scotsman you faced three weapons. The claymore in one hand and the targe (small shield, but because of it's relatively lightweight he could be very able with it) strapped to his other forearm with the dirk held below it.
Batter the opponent with the shield, turn the arm and aim the dirk at the throat and when the opponent defends that, use the claymore. Incredibly effective in close combat.

The sgian dubh was the only sharp that men were allowed to carry about their person after the last of the Jacobite uprisings.

There's a third knife, the sgian ochlas. This one was carried hidden down the side seam of the waistcoat or sleeve.
It's from this one that the confusion arises about why the sgian dubh was put into the sock.
It's very discourteous to have a hidden knife about you when you are being offered hospitality, so the sgian ochlas was moved down to the sock so that it was shown that there was no deceit...........but then, you might have two blades to hand in a moment as both socks got tooled up :rolleyes:
Socks aren't secure places to carry knives when walking though, tucked inside the body clothing was better.

At the end of the day, the sgian dubh and the sgian ochlas are just the Scottish derivations of the pan European dirk, and we have evidences of those from the Mesolithic.

cheers,
Toddy

PeterHW

Forager
Dec 31, 2005
U.K.
I use a Khinzal by Bud Nealy for my SD when dressed in my Kilt .... it was modelled on a SD and is definately "useable" .... used mine for 15+ years ....

P1010263.jpg

P1010261.jpg

Last edited:

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Wowee some real lookers on the thread. Definately going to have to get a sgian dubh - I love the traditional looking blades (without the tack that is), so lots of food for thought :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE