Are There More Clegs This Year Than Normal?

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Following on from Danny's great pics of Cleg's eyes, does anyone else think that there are far more this year than in the recent past? There's been far more loads up here in Cumbria for the last three or four weeks. I went fellwalking on Tuesday and was plagued by them for the full three hours of my walk, and this evening I was out again and only got free of them when I got on the tops where the wind was gusting quite strongly. I even carried the legs of my zip off trousers with me in case they were as bad as last time.

Cheers, Michael.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
There did seem to be a fair few aound on Sunday, hopefully they migrate south of the border, down Cumbria way. (Apologies to Jimmy Kennedy and Michael Carr).

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
There certainly is, I'd have thought it would be the other way with the last two hard winters ? at Bleasdale Stone Circle yesterday
http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/2011/07/brendas-butty-bar.html
They were just on the limit of spoiling the day I'm glad I wasn't bivvying !
mosquitos.gif
but I did wonder if their eyes are like finger prints and all different ?
Bleasdale
BleasdaleClegeye.jpg

Nussey Green http://teddytourteas.blogspot.com/2011/07/mike-knipe-look-away-now.html
14bCleg.jpg

The only good Cleg is a Belly up Cleg !:D
Clegbellyup.jpg

cheers Danny

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I've noticed lots of Clegs this year.

Loads of Thrips and Greenfly too, nearly as itchy as midges for me.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've been nailed a few times this year already, one last year, one the year before that but I'm noticing them a lot and feeling them too much :(

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I've been bitten twice by clegs in the last fortnight :sigh:
Forearm and now my ankle.
In a normal Summer I might be bitten perhaps two or three times in total....so we'll see, but so far, yeah, there's a lot of them about.

The berrybugs are out too, they're little snouted weevil things that bite a neat wee round hole out of your skin that flares up into an appalling itchy mess. Another flatten on sight buggit.

cheers,
Toddy

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i was swimming in the lower falls at fort william yesterday and my sister suffered a few bites from clegs...theres plenty about there

marcusleftthesite

On a new journey
Sep 28, 2006
I've noticed more this year than ever before.I have'nt been bitten yet but I've had a few on me that I've swatted off before they had the chance.What is the bite like ? I had a hell of a time on Bala Lake wit a triangular shaped fly a couple of years back,same colour as a Cleg but maybe half the size and triangular in shape.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
this year! there's more clegs this week than last week, that’s for sure. its hell round the marsh the now, I just got bit on the lip, I look like John Merrick.....if i had a 410 I would have shot myself in the Face.
your's truly, covered in scabs.

Last edited:

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I just got bit on the lip, I look like John Merrick.....if i had a 410 I would have shot myself in the Face.
your's truly, covered in scabs.

Ouch. A lip bite sounds nasty.

One of my neighbours got bit last week on his shin, his whole leg has swelled up and gone a red/purple/yellow colour

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
If you know you have a bad reaction, and if you do it quickly enough, as soon as you know you've been bitten, anti histamines and ibuprofen anti inflammatory will keep the inflammation and swelling to a minimum.

I've an epi pen now for the bites from these horrors, so far, touch wood, the anti histamine and the anti inflammatories have kept on top of things.
You want the four hourly anti histamine and then the one a day for a couple of days afterwards.

Out and about any of the usual plants for skin stuff will help; comfrey root, plantain, chickweed, etc.,

cheers,
Toddy

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Never heard them called Clegs before. Horseflies, yes?

My missus says a cleg is a what some people may call a winnet. Or a bum nugget. *ahem*.

Here ya go I found a little info on horse-flies. 1) The true cleg fly is haematopota pluvialis - the common horse-fly. 2) Another horse-fly sometimes called a cleg is h. crassicornis. 3) Tabanus bromius is another one known as the robust horse-fly. 4) Last but not least (and the brightest) is chrysops relictus, another horse-fly...

I just call them little *@#*#!s

gsfgaz

Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
When we were away up the north west coast last week , i was bitten 8 times with clegs , plus i got bit with 2 tick,s on my legs ...

LadyLucifer

Jul 24, 2011
STIRLING
ive walked up sheriffmuir in stirling for years, but this year there is definately more clegs than usual, I was out in sheriffmuir all day yesterday and came home with at least 15 bites ouch!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE