Are there any NTSC version of Ray Mears DVD's?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
Hi all, I have been watching Ray Mears Bushcraft series here on TV and I am interested in getting his DVD's on Bushcraft and the Extreme Survival Series. There is one small problem none of my DVD equipment will play PAL DVD's.

Has anyone heard tell of NTSC versions of his DVD's? Does anyone know if its legal to buy PAL version and convert it to NTSC?

Thanks.

Geoffrey.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi Geoffrey

I’m unaware of any Ray Mears stuff in NTSC, but that doesn’t mean there isn’t any.

Yes, it would contravene the production companies’ copy write to have it standards converted, but no one is going to prosecute you for it, especially if you already own the PAL version. Any broadcast facilities house could do it for you, but it would be very expensive, better to look for a smaller semi professional outfit who may have a field interpolation standards converter. However, if you are doing more than one film, it’s worth doing the maths and comparing the cost with the price of a triple standard DVD player – it may be cheaper to just by a new player. And don’t forget most DVD players are triple standard; those facilities are withheld for marketing purposes. Its’ worth doing a search on the web for the multi region unlock codes for your machine – it may end up costing you nothing!

Hope that helps

AJB

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire
DVD Region settings and PAL/NTSC settings are two different things aren't they?? :confused:

I think if you've got a new TV that you won't have any issues with it being PAL as that is just something to do with the signal, NTSC being the signal previously used in the US. Most modern sets are generic or so I've been told.

"Region All" however is not the same as all regions and a DVD labelled as "Region 1" will not neccesary play on an "All" player. This I know as I recently bought some US DVD's to play at home but they dont work on my new Regions "All & 2" DVD player but they do play on my cheap, £12.99, cornershop (Londis) DVD player!! (which plays anything I put in it?!).

Confused? So am I.

Sorry if thats the most unhelpful post ever :slap:

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
I found the unlock codes for my DVD player but I do not have any PAL or UK Region dvd's to test out.

Does anyone know if you can rent any of the Ray Mears DVD's? I would hate to buy them thinking that I have unlocked my DVD player and getting them and not having them work.

Any ideas or suggestions on renting the Bushcraft DVD's or any other way to test my tv/dvd setup?

Thanks.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I seem to recall that NTSC versions aren't available, unfortunately. In fact, do a search for "Ray Mears" DVD on Amazon.com the first result is "One Million Years B.C." On Amazon.ca it's Mars Attacks! Obviously...

No idea on how you'd go about converting from PAL to NTSC. It'll also depend on Canadian copyright laws, I suppose, but I would imagine that copying something you already own for your own personal use would be fine (but don't quote me on that!)

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
Geoffrey said:
Any ideas or suggestions on renting the Bushcraft DVD's or any other way to test my tv/dvd setup?

Region coding shouldn't be an issue here, as (a) the DVDs are region free and (b) you've fully unlocked your DVD player.

So the main question is whether your DVD and telly can cope with PAL. Probably the easiest is to read your manuals (if you have them) or look up the specifications online, and see whether they just do NTSC or whether they can take PAL. If they both do, then you should be fine, unless sod's law comes into play.

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
Geoffrey said:
Hi all, I have been watching Ray Mears Bushcraft series here on TV and I am interested in getting his DVD's on Bushcraft and the Extreme Survival Series. There is one small problem none of my DVD equipment will play PAL DVD's.

Has anyone heard tell of NTSC versions of his DVD's? Does anyone know if its legal to buy PAL version and convert it to NTSC?

Thanks.

Geoffrey.
You could try emailing Woodlore and ask them.

Geoffrey

Forager
Oct 3, 2004
Maine
I just got off the phone with JVC (my tv is JVC) they say my model will not support PAL, so I guess I am out of luck there. I will contact Woodlore and see what they say about buying the DVD's and having them converted to NTSC.

Bumblebee

Nomad
May 27, 2005
Here and there
No american TV (with very few exceptions) accept a PAL signal... However there are a few DVD players on the US market that can do on the fly conversion of PAL to NTSC. Likely cheaper to get one of these instead of sending the DVDs away for conversion.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
If you have a reasonably recent computer download the free media player 'VLC'.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

This software is available for all platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux etc.) and will allow you to play back any DVD regardless of which region it is set too. and because you are using a monitor PAL/NTSC isn't an an issue.

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
sandbender said:
If you have a reasonably recent computer download the free media player 'VLC'.

http://www.videolan.org/vlc/

This software is available for all platforms (Windows, Mac, Linux etc.) and will allow you to play back any DVD regardless of which region it is set too. and because you are using a monitor PAL/NTSC isn't an an issue.

Now that's a very good idea.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE