are ridgeline monsoon classic smocks any good

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

0121nelly

Nov 14, 2021
Rubery, West Midlands
Hi
does anyone know if this ridgeline monsoon classic smock is any good it looks ok, but i would like to know from someone who owns one and how is the sizing because different sites say different sizes so if anyone can help that would be great thanks

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
My experience no, very sweaty I went for 1 or 2 sizes bigger can’t remember, got rid of the coat last year.

Last edited:

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I have the monsoon elite, thinner fabric to the traditional ones and I find it very good. I'm 5"10' and broad in the shoulders and the large fits me well, with space for layers underneath. It is very waterproof but, as it is a smock it can be hard to ventilate.

Reactions: Nice65

Danceswithhelicopters

Sep 7, 2004
Scotland
I have a Monsoon Elite in a large and I'm five 10 and 14 stone. It's a perfect fit with sufficient space for layering.

They have a rep of being sweaty and I can't put my finger on it but fear it is an unwarranted Internet spread legend.

It's a big heavy weight, robust, over the head smock. If you go walking and expect it to act like a linen shirt on a summers day that won't happen.

Standing around on a pounding wet day with no option for shelter however and it's awesomeness. Great Hood and cuffs.

I wear it when it rains hard only and I fear that people wear it just out and about and have too high an expectation of goretex, and similar, garments. Even the best goretex is still a big petroleum based plastic bag.

Reactions: Nice65 and Toddy

henchy3rd

Settler
Apr 16, 2012
Derby
My old classic was to warm & heavy & I was constantly adjusting my clothing.never wore it much because of that reason.
So I bit the bullet & bought a elite, much lighter & more versatile,one word off caution.. buy a size down as they are very roomy.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
They have a rep of being sweaty and I can't put my finger on it but fear it is an unwarranted Internet spread legend.

It's a big heavy weight, robust, over the head smock. If you go walking and expect it to act like a linen shirt on a summers day that won't happen.

Standing around on a pounding wet day with no option for shelter however and it's awesomeness. Great Hood and cuffs.

I wear it when it rains hard only and I fear that people wear it just out and about and have too high an expectation of goretex, and similar, garments. Even the best goretex is still a big petroleum based plastic bag.
Very well put. The internet legend persists despite Ridgeline improving the fabric for breathability.

This clothing is designed for New Zealand sheep farmers, standing around in wet weather, working all day in it.

This is a pic of the shepherd from Clarksons Farm.

4846D49A-1934-4B22-BD36-7E42FCE4C389.jpeg

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
I have a Monsoon Elite in a large and I'm five 10 and 14 stone. It's a perfect fit with sufficient space for layering.

Mine an elite wet through to my t shirt in an hours worth of rain

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I have a couple of the Ridgeline coats.
One full length zip and the other over the head smock.
Both are full size/ weight coats.

It's true the material doesn't breath as well as other materials.
It's also true they can get hot if working in them.
They are, though, a hard working and fully waterproof coat.
and they are much cheaper than other makes that they are often compared with.

for the money i think they do a decent job.
If you want £4-500 quality garment you're not going to get it from a Ridgeline that costs much less - of course that would be true of any coat costing half the price.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE