Are Old, Vintage Snowshoes still usable?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
As above, any have any experience of buying and using an old pair of snowshoes, that have been in storage of fifty years, made of rawhide and ash?

Are they just as useable as they were when they were made? Or is the rawhide more brittle?

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
The wood might be ok. The rawhide might be past it's best. Depends how they were stored. only one way to find out. find snow and go for a walk.

Did you find them somewhere. ?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
No Stevie. I bought some 'new ones' But unused, or used very lightly according seller.

I was thinking of buying the kit, with the 50lb mono, and doing it myself, but the price worked out better this way. If you type vintage snowshoes into ebay.com there are some beautiful looking ones which come up.

These are a pair of 'Maine Guide snowshoes by LL Bean' which Ive just bought. They were sold as new[other] but i can see some obvious wear on the back tips of the ash frame, but on the places where snowshoes do acquire wear, on the rawhide, there is not much, I can see.

Size is 14x48

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

$_57.JPG

Last edited:

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Sorry don't know anything about snow shoes. But they do look ace. I fancy some now to hang on the wall. But I think my wife would have something to say about that. And I don't think it would be kind!

Are you going to be ushering them often of just a one off ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE