Are any members also in the TA?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
M

marcja

I've wanted to join the Territorial Army for many years but due to other committments I had to wait until the time was right. That time is now.

I'm just flling out my aplication and it suddenly occured to me that I might possibly start a healthy thread on here by asking firstly if anyone is or has been in the TA and if so what did they think about? And would you offer any advice?

Happy posting.

M

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
DONT DO IT FOR AT LEAST ANOTHER 5 YEARS.

why? cos you could be entering a war zone within months!

Is that what you want?

Would your boss think its a good idea for you to be away for three months from your place of employment?

what about your partner?

what about your kids?

the bounty money is good though, and the booze is usually cheap!

Have fun boys, its a great life,

Ludlowsurvivors, Dave.

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I hacked the TA for about six months after I came out of the regs. I dropped a rank and had to learn light infantry drill which is totally different from normal infantry drill. It did my head in and I rapped it in when I got mucked about time after time. Don't let that put you off though, I'd just about had enough by then anyway.

The TA is a great way of learning about things military, getting buckshee kit (if you know where to look) and getting paid to go camping.

The down sides are the guard duties, mud, cold, standing to at first light in the rain after you've just got comfey in your sleeping bag.

Learning bushcraft skills before you join might just give you an edge so you can make life a little more comfortable for yourself though.

Good luck and have fun,

Eric

giancarlo

Oct 5, 2003
Jersey, Channel Islands
Something i've thought about doing too, but to be honest, i don't think i could hack the taking orders stuff. Although all the running about and doing things would be good.

I have a friend who has been in for a few years and he got shipped off to Iraq last year for a little while, really shaken him up... don't think he's in it anymore actually.

bambodoggy

Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
Yep, I was in a Regiment local to me for nearly five years, had a cracking time actually and only left after hurting my leg and finding I couldn't keep up on long tabs anymore.

Sure you may get shipped off to war but why freak over that...it's made very clear to you before you join so if you don't want to go then don't join!

I'd heartily recomend it to anyone and can truely say I have learned heaps from them and had litterally the time of my life while serving, not to mention making some very close mates along the way.

Go for it buddy....you're bound to love it :D

Bam.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
Yep I'm in the TA. Theres been a thread on this forum previously that may answer a few questions. If you have any others feel free to PM me and I'll have a go at answering them. I'd give the TA the thumbs up ..... I'm enjoying it ....... you get out what you put in. :D

With regards to call up, yes chances are you will get the letter through the door but only after you pass all your basic training and special to arms courses etc which can take a while to complete as it's spread out over weekends.

Next big call up looks as though it will be for Afghanistan in early 2006 as I think NATO is taking over the lead "peacekeeping" roll from the Americans. The UK is deploying an additional 2000(+) personnel .......... where they are coming from is anybody’s guess!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE