are all moras created equal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

madra

Oct 6, 2008
the intarweb
i've just received a 'frost's' mora clipper which i bought online from one of the suppliers people have mentioned in these forums. however, although my knife looks like the ones pictured on the website, there is one difference; those pictured on the website have "frost's - mora sweden kolstal. high carbon" stamped on the blade, whereas the one i received just has "mora of sweden carbon steel" on it.

i know the knives are cheap as chips anyway, so on the great global scale of things it's no big deal - but i'm a bit concerned/irritated that i may have been sent a lesser quality generic mora branded knife rather than the frost's one which was advertised.

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
No I would'nt worry on that score mate they are all the same really, and are all the best knife you can start with. No matter what is written on the blade you can rest assured you have a good solid reliable tool that will last you a good long time and will take a lot of abuse and still keep going.

mmc1

Feb 23, 2006
Al US
Frosts merged with KJ Ericsons to become Mora of Sweden.

It's the same knife just with the new logo.

UCBerzerkeley

Dec 11, 2008
California
well, the steels will all be good, but the handles and tangs obviously vary. my favorite is the 510, comes in both carbon and stainless varieties. tang is like 3/4+ the handle, while the clipper is more like 1/4

pentrekeeper

Forager
Apr 7, 2008
North Wales
No worries about the blades - here's my little collection of Frosties
frosts.jpg

The latest one, the horse hoof knife does have a worrying warning stamped on the back of the blade, it reads as follows :
"CAUTION Prying Bending Sharpening Weakens Blade"
I can understand the prying and bending but sharpening weakens the blade - what - I reckon you would have to do an aweful lot of sharpening to weaken any blade, thats a bit OTT if you ask me.
Enjoy your Mora I know I enjoy using mine.:D

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
"CAUTION Prying Bending Sharpening Weakens Blade"

I imagine they must have gotten quite a few complaints containing "My knife got dull, so I sharpened it, and realise that the sharpening stone was removing metal! What's wrong with my knife?" before having to put that on it :p

SkogKniv

Dec 7, 2008
Way upstate NY
I just got a new birch handle and a 510. Replacing old ones. After some hard use with the birch handle on some Maple. A large chip came off the middle edge and the blade bent at the handle some. This would be the first time for me on this one. Most likely a small error in the tempering. You wont hear me complain though. The 510 is a work horse and is holding strong.

For the price of both of them and what you get for it makes Moras the best valued knives on earth IMHO of course.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE