are alder catkins edible

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andyn

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Hampshire
www.naturescraft.co.uk
Not sure about eating the catkins but from various sources I have seen the following information:

If you boil the bark it is useful to bath swellings and inflammations and is good for sore inflammed throats.

Also similar to Oak bark, due to the tannin content, it can be used as a mild astringent.

The bark also produces the dye Aldine which in the past people used to chew the bark and use the spit to dye leather and other products.

But im tempted to try the catkins and see what they taste like. Although it wouldn't surprise me if they have a high tannin content too and end up dying your mouth if you eat lots.

gregorach

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
According to Plants for A Future, some alders have edible catkins, but they have a very bitter taste.

http://www.pfaf.org/database/search_name.php?ALLNAMES=Alnus

The ones with edible catkins apparently are:

White Alder (Alnus rhombifolia)
Red Alder (Alnus rubra)
Sitka Alder (Alnus sinuata)
Mountain Alder (Alnus tenuifolia)
American Green Alder (Alnus viridis crispa)

All other alders are marked "Edible Uses: none known" - which doesn't necessarily mean they aren't edible, just that PfaF can't find any sources that say they are. However, if they were poisonous, it would probably be known.

laurens ch

Forager
Jun 23, 2005
south wales united kingdom
I think I’ll try some when I can. If they are edible there are enough of them to make a small meal when I go out might prove quite useful. At first I’ll just eat a little to make sure they don’t disagree with me. I ate a lot of Japanese knotweed once and that’s meant to be edible ,gave me a bad stomach though.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
laurens ch said:
I came across a article on a web site about eating alder catkins. The guy boiled them but had also eaten them raw. Has anyone else tried them ?

heres the web site http://www.stoneageskills.com/pages/1/index.htm

The guy you mention is Storm, a member here on BCUK ;)
You can e-mail him through the link on his profile (I reckon no joy with a PM, since his last activity was on 19-02-2006 ... :eek: )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE