Arctic smock hood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BobbyV83

Jan 24, 2022
UK
Hi y’all, first time posting here but I’ve had a look on the search function and couldn’t find an answer. Bit of a bone question but I’ve managed to get hold of an U.K. issue arctic smock and I can’t for the life of me work out how to tie the hood up so it doesn’t flap everywhere, look like I’m an extra from 70’s disco, compete with huge lapels or just look gash.

From what I can see there’s 2 cords at the back to tighten the “neck” part of the hood once it’s up which looks to be an attempt at replicating mountaineering designs where the hood moves with the helmet as well as having a pull cord which tightens the brim of the hood.

Any steers would be greatly appreciated!

Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
Do you have prove you're not an extra from a 70's disco? Do you have a signed affadavit you never wore platform shoes???? ;-)

I did a quick google search chum and found this

all the more useful coming from baby crabs.

On a more serious note the Arktis smocks have a size reducer on the back of the hood basically a length of velcro. Someone on here pointed out to me that rolling the hood up and securing it through the hang tab on the inside of the jacket kept it sorted.

Weclome by the way.

BobbyV83

Jan 24, 2022
UK
Cheers dude, thanks for the welcome. I had a look at that link, seems to be for an MTP smock rather than the old school arctic ones, I’ll give it a whirl though, see if it works. Just my OCD playing out here, annoys me that my hood isn’t tight and in place all the time

Reactions: SCOMAN
Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Cut the extended wire peak off on the arctic smock to reduce its volume slightly (and if you fancy, reinsert half the wire along the normal brim). Personally, I have always had the hoods on my smock loose (and when i was in an outfit that actually issued windproof smocks, so did everyone else). If you really must roll and tie the hood, then the only way to do it is with the volume adjuster cords on the back of the hood, tying them to the hanging loop inside the collar. Once you have done that though, you can't really release the hood on the go, which renders the hood, to all intents and purposes, useless - so not sure why you would do it...!

Reactions: Madriverrob

BobbyV83

Jan 24, 2022
UK
Cut the extended wire peak off on the arctic smock to reduce its volume slightly (and if you fancy, reinsert half the wire along the normal brim). Personally, I have always had the hoods on my smock loose (and when i was in an outfit that actually issued windproof smocks, so did everyone else). If you really must roll and tie the hood, then the only way to do it is with the volume adjuster cords on the back of the hood, tying them to the hanging loop inside the collar. Once you have done that though, you can't really release the hood on the go, which renders the hood, to all intents and purposes, useless - so not sure why you would do it...!

Cheers, I’ll give that a whirl. Personally I don’t like having a loose hood as I’ve found they just fill with detritus and rainwater. I’d rather have it tied, wear a hat if it’s a bit rainy and know when I stop for the night I can undo the hood to cover my head if it’s not quiet waterproof weather. Also the winds where I live being a bit “sporty” in the winter and I’ve been whipped more than once in the eyes with hoods, toggles, cord etc so tape/tie everything down.

Duggie Bravo

Settler
Jul 27, 2013
Dewsbury
When I bought mine from Survival AIDS in the late 80’s, the first thing I was advised was to remove the wire from the hood.
To roll it I laid it flat front down, folded the side flaps in then rolled. There were some cords, which fed through the coat loop and back tied with a bow, so it could be undone on the move.

It’s in the loft somewhere, if I get time I’ll see if I can find it and take some photos.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
Cheers, I’ll give that a whirl. Personally I don’t like having a loose hood as I’ve found they just fill with detritus and rainwater.
There is a legendary tale from my old unit - on this topic. When you are working as a small patrol and get contacted by the enemy, essentially there are a set of drills to go through to run away. One of the last elements of this drill and once some distance is put down from the enemy is to form up once again as a patrol - forming an 'all round defence' - i.e. all 5 or 6 members of the patrol in a rough circle facing outwards covering the four points of the compass. Generally this group is rather tight, and none more so on this particular occasion, it being a very dark and windy night. Essentially all of them were pretty much back to back. The patrol then sorts itself out - redistributes ammo, checks no one is injured, and carries out any critical personal admin. Famously, one particular patrol members personal admin involved taking a rather urgent sh*t at this point in very close proximity to his team mates. After the Patrol had orientated themselves, taken a bearing, and headed off to box around the last known position of the enemy; it was, some 10 minutes later, discovered that he had cr*pped directly into the hood of a fellow team mates smock....

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE