Aqua-Quest 'West Coast' Bivi Tent & Tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Hi All,

has anyone come across one of these before:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D1BSIP4/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1YJ42FTXDJ6MT&coliid=I11FFEYD8SM82Z

...?

I'm looking for a lightweight/compact tent which is very quick to erect and stow. It must have a sewn-in groundsheet and I'd really like the ability to open a large area of canopy to the elements (and still have insect netting). I don't really want a separate inner and flysheet arrangement as I would like a tarp cover as well.

This combo deal seems ideal, but I was wondering whether anyone had seen one or read any reviews?

Cheers,
Matt.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I came across this a couple of weeks a go. My feeling is that it's a bit heavy to consider it a bivvy (as with all hooped style bivvys) and its not standalone tent either as presumably you need trees or poles of some sort to pitch the tarp from. It does pique my interest though as it seems a very versatile system and a good price, you could pay that for a silnylon tarp alone...

Another option to check out would be a Minipeak II.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
The Minipeak does look nice, but it doesn't have a sewn-in groundsheet which is a must have for me.

The inner vestibule on the MP has a sewn in groundsheet and its a larger area than the Aqua quest. I don't think you'll get a bigger area with a sewn in groundsheet without looking at more traditional tents.

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
The inner vestibule on the MP has a sewn in groundsheet and its a larger area than the Aqua quest. I don't think you'll get a bigger area with a sewn in groundsheet without looking at more traditional tents.

If you can find a khyam pocket tent (mono or duo) they have a sewn in groundsheet. You can ditch the inner tent and swpa out the straps for zing it and it brings the weight right down. Needs trees or something to tie up to though.

I love mine. For £25 it couldn't be beaten. Not seen any for sale recently though.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Do you have a tarp already Matt? You could get yourself one of these and save a few bob...

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelter-accessories/WB108.html

Luxe-Tyvek-Inner.jpg

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
If you can find a khyam pocket tent (mono or duo) they have a sewn in groundsheet. You can ditch the inner tent and swpa out the straps for zing it and it brings the weight right down. Needs trees or something to tie up to though.

I love mine. For £25 it couldn't be beaten. Not seen any for sale recently though.

Always regretted not getting one of those when they were on eBay still.

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
Do you have a tarp already Matt? You could get yourself one of these and save a few bob...

http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/shelter-accessories/WB108.html

Luxe-Tyvek-Inner.jpg

I've got a cheap pvc-type tarp. It performed well on its first outing at the weekend, but there was no rain and absolutely no wind so I'm not sure if it's a long term solution. So the Aqua tarp and shelter seems like a good buy.

The inner tent from backpackinglight looks pretty good, but has got me thinking whether I couldn't just string up the inner from my current tent and use that for a cheaper option.

I'll take a look at the Kyham micro tent thingy.

My dream shelter, should I have more money than sense, would be the Erblestock Micro-Condo but I will have to sell my first born to afford that.

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
... My dream shelter, should I have more money than sense, would be the Erblestock Micro-Condo ...

"... and a full-length awning that you can orient toward your fire ..."

Hmmm. If I'd just spent $900 on a bivvy made of man-made fibres I'd be damned if I'd put it near a fire!

The_Taffinch

Mar 31, 2014
Hungerford, Berkshire
I came across this a couple of weeks a go. My feeling is that it's a bit heavy to consider it a bivvy (as with all hooped style bivvys) and its not standalone tent either as presumably you need trees or poles of some sort to pitch the tarp from. It does pique my interest though as it seems a very versatile system and a good price, you could pay that for a silnylon tarp alone...

Another option to check out would be a Minipeak II.

Just re-looked at the Minipeak and completely missed that it has a inner nest. This looks ideal as it can be configured as a kind of tarp/bivi combo but then the rear flaps can be folded down to provide a more enclosing tent-like space. A little pricey for my wallet at the moment but maybe I can save up.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Just re-looked at the Minipeak and completely missed that it has a inner nest. This looks ideal as it can be configured as a kind of tarp/bivi combo but then the rear flaps can be folded down to provide a more enclosing tent-like space. A little pricey for my wallet at the moment but maybe I can save up.

Not got one myself I as I was waiting for the Silnylon version to come back in stock, unfortunately they discontinued that model. But a few folk on here have them and rate them highly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE