April Fools Virus!

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
At just gone midnight my laptop stopped working - say hello to the April Fools Virus!.

Some 20 hours later, and taking McAfee’s name in vain more than a few times, I’m almost back to where I was, with the loss of only a few bits of data but having had to reformat my hard drive under the supervision of Dell Software support at the cost of £70 even though I still have 4 years warrantee left!

Anyway one of the things I have lost is ALL my favourites, collected over the last year, if you have a favourite gear supplier, including all the usual suspects (please), campsite or anything else, it would be great if you could please post a link to help me rebuild all I’ve lost.

If I ever get my hands on the little, er, programmer...

Thanks for reading – it’s been a bad day,

Andy

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
Ouch! I hate computers! Microsoft are looking for him to I understand, $175k reward if I remember rightly.

If you use Firefox (I suspect you don't) there's an add on called foxmarks which stores your bookmarks on a server and syncs them when you change them. It's great for having the same bookmarks on your work machine, home machine, Laptop, Ipod touch etc and as they're stored on a server somewhere, you can never lose them. If you find something at work and bookmark it when you get home and fire up the PC it automagically appears. I love it, chainsaw recommended!!

Cheers,

Alan

Tripitaka

Nomad
Apr 13, 2008
Vancouver Island, BC.
I'll second the vote for Firefox and Foxmarks. There are just so many other useful add-ons too. Check out Webmynd if you get the chance.

Might this just be enough to drive you to check out Ubuntu linux AJB? No more virus worries once on that. You can download what is called a "live CD" if you want to try it; it doesn't affect your systems at all as it runs purely off the CD but it will give you a taster. Just google Unbuntu and work from there.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Data recovery applications are allways worth a try after having to format ;)

Its actually pretty hard to delete data permanently, believe me i have tried.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Might this just be enough to drive you to check out Ubuntu linux AJB? No more virus worries once on that.

There was a linux virus a few years ago. Even spread by email. I'm enclosing a (recreated) copy:

==============
This is a email virus. Please send a copy of this text to everyone in your adressbook, and delete 100 random files from your hard drive.

Thank you for your cooperation in bringing Linux into the mainstream!
==============

The bad thing is that even though I was using a Sun at the time I was still vulerable, it must have been one of the first cross-platform viruses.

Chainsaw

Native
Jul 23, 2007
Central Scotland
The bad thing is that even though I was using a Sun at the time I was still vulerable, it must have been one of the first cross-platform viruses.

Was this not the telnet thing, it's about the only solaris vulnerability we've had that I can recall as we just used the same telnet everyone else was.

AJB I'll PM you a bunch of bookies for you to discard ;)

Cheers,

Alan

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Was this not the telnet thing, it's about the only solaris vulnerability we've had that I can recall as we just used the same telnet everyone else was.

AJB I'll PM you a bunch of bookies for you to discard ;)

Risking getting off topic; the virus was a joke, you were supposed to do the damage manually based on the request. if the telnet problem was the only vulnerability we had with Solaris, my life would have been easier a few years ago.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE