Apple Iphone latest i06 update... Turbo battery Drain!!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I know the update has been around for a while and if you are thinking of upgrading to iO6 then think twice and check over at Apple support community.

Iphone battery has never been that great but was acceptable for my usage. Now after I recently installed the latest update to my old 3GS from 5.1.1 I have around half the battery life than before. (I have followed various instructions to switch off as much of the features as possible and still the phone is flat in half a day with next to no use)

It is being well documented that the latest io6 release is bug laden and one of the worst problems crapple have managed to integrate is battery discharge for whatever reason in double quick time.

The best of it is that you cannot officially go back to the previous version 5.1.1 and the community seem to be taking great delight in informing customers of that fact, so you are stuck with 6 until they decide to sort it out. Jail breaking is likely to lead to bricking the phone so it's a risk I cannot afford to take.

I do rely on my iphone alot and now to have it run out in less than a working day has made it next to useless. The other bugs casusing things not working right I can live with but the battery dying has put the last nail in the coffin. I will no longer be purchasing apple products.

here's the forum for info.

https://discussions.apple.com/community/iphone/iphone_hardware?view=discussions

specific to 3GS problem

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4353390?tstart=0

Last edited:

Wook

Settler
Jun 24, 2012
Angus, Scotland
I was under the impression that only non-Apple phones had bugs. On an Apple phone they're called "features".

Like if you're only getting 6 hours of battery life, it's because the Apple corporation lovingly decided that maybe you needed a bit more time away from your perfectly formed, brushed aluminium lifestyle accessory so you could spend some quality time with those you love.

Failure to appreciate the brilliance of Apple's thinking on this matter rests entirely with failings on your part :lmao:

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
Well nothing is perfect and to be fair iphone 3GS was one of the better smart phones at the time, but you learn to live with things as long as they actually switch on!!!!!!!

Yep, brilliance! it was working fine before they decided to mong with it. Must have employed some highly experienced ex microsoft staff.

Last edited:

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
If your running an iphone 3 then the battery will be old anyway and fitting a new battery will help a lot, even apple batteries loose their power over time.

Marmite

Life Member
Feb 20, 2012
Gloucestershire
Thanks for the heads up, have been considering this on and off for a while. Guess I'll leave it for now and watch to see what happens.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive now abandoned the apple ios and have a custard tart or ice cream sundae or something. Anyhow my battery now lasts two days or more and as an added bonus i get to speak on the phone for more than 5 mins without cutting people off. Apple has the best interface but i think it started dying with big Steve god rest him.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Apple and I parted ways a while back and I'm not clued into the whole smartphone thing so maybe this is a silly question.

Can you revert back to the previous OS? Do they prevent you from doing so?

Just curious.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
That's the thing that's really ****** me off this time. There isn't an official way(yet) to revert to 5.1.1 and even the jailbreaking mob are saying it's risky trying it.

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
heres a bit of info

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/4343227?start=0&tstart=0

Downgrading iOS - Unsupported

I'm sorry, but Apple does not provide a downgrade path for iOS. That said there is a way to downgrade, but it's not supported by Apple, and it's done at your risk.

Start by downloading the iOS firmware file required for the iOS version to which you want to downgrade. You will find them at Download iOS firmware for iPhone iPad iPod. Be extremely careful to select the correct IPSW file for the iDevice model you have and the desired version of iOS. I cannot stress enough that installing the wrong firmware can brick your device.

After downloading your iOS IPSW file I suggest putting it on your Desktop. Connect your device to your computer and open iTunes. You should see your device listed under the Devices heading in iTunes' sidebar. Select your device then click on the Summary tab in iTunes' main window. You should see a section titled, Version, with two buttons: Check for Update and Restore.

I highly recommend that you perform a sync/backup before proceeding. This will assure that when the device is restored you can restore the most recent backup. Otherwise, you will lose all your files, apps, and data.

Press and hold down the OPTION key on the keyboard then click on the Restore button. This will open an Open dialog. Navigate to the Desktop where you have the IPSW file, a file ending with an ."ipsw" extension. Select the ".ipsw" file then click on the Open button. The rest should be pretty much automatic. Except instead of restoring the current firmware, iTunes will restore the firmware in the ".ipsw" file.

Again, I cannot stress enough that installing the wrong firmware can brick your device. Be sure you have your device connected to a charger.

I've been reading about solutions for a few days now and most of them come back as either didnt work, bricked or other problems occur that apple won't help with.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
heres a bit of info...I've been reading about solutions for a few days now and most of them come back as either didnt work, bricked or other problems occur that apple won't help with.

So for previous versions of ios you were able to step back if things were not what you hoped?

I'm far from Apple's ideal demographic in that I like my phone to be dumb, tough and splashproof and I keep appointments in a paper diary and phone numbers in my head, but really, what you've pasted above would put me of buying an iphone or indeed any Apple product.

:(

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
As far as i am aware thats apples policy, no rollback to previous OS. In the past i havent had cause for concern and trusted the ipdates would be an improvement. This time its a royal cockup TBH and a month has passed with no news.

As i am typing this my battery has gone from 97% to 92% with every feature apart from wifi disabled.

brambles

Settler
Apr 26, 2012
Aberdeenshire
iOS6 is designed for dual core processors so it is likely that it will make single core processors work a lot harder and accordingly use more power, my iPhone 4 can be buggy having updated, but IIRC cellphone batteries are designed to last for about 12 - 18 months before they need replaced so a 3 year old iPhone 3GS would be losing power now anyway.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE